Old 22-10-2003, 06:02 PM
Weezyde

Default Mums in NJ - will they come back?

My question is for the email below.
I made the mistake of not cutting back the mums in the spring. Some people
say if you don't you get no flowers but I think it is really to keep them
nice and tight without falling over. I didn't trim mine back and there way
too large falling over.

I thought that you cut them to the ground in April. then half what ever size
they are on July 4th. Buds or no buds.

I was told by a couple friends of mine that used to be the main buyers for the
Frank's Nursery, to trim them if you want them to spread. BTW, my friends are
both originally from N.J. They didn't say to cut them back to the ground. I
just trim them back about 2-3"each time. I've stopped trimmimg my older Mums
because they have spread enough. I've added 3 more Mum plants this year and
will trim only the newly added ones next year.
Sue in Mi. (Zone 5)