Old 22-10-2003, 06:02 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Sign of the times

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message

certainly around here
have never seen so many, up to 20 at a time circling over the garden

(maybe
they are trying to tell me something!)

That is most exceptional. The only occasions of which I know when

buzzards
are seen in flocks are when they are on migration.

Franz

Well 4's and 5's is common here but 20 was a bit unusual! I did not

realise
that they migrated as we see them all year and especially in winter when
they often sit on fence posts so you can get a bit closer. I like them and
we have 4 pairs nesting within sight of the house most years so there must
be loads of food around as you would expect large birds to need a larger
hunting range. certainly made a come back as they were extremely rare just
20 years ago.

What a nice place you live in.

Franz