Old 20-10-2003, 12:12 AM
Sacha

Default Sign of the times

It hasn't rained here to any good purpose for months. In the last week, we
have seen a buzzard on the big lawn, under the Atlantic cedar, three times.
We have many buzzards around us but in 22 years here, Ray reckons he's seen
them in the garden about three times.
We can only guess that they are just desperate for food, so are foraging in
the shadier parts of our garden where the comparatively cooler temps and the
spray lines might produce a meal for them.
We have some chick crumbs left over from raising the ducklings, so if anyone
thinks those will help the buzzards, please let me know.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 20-10-2003, 05:12 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

I wouldn't worry about buzzards, they tend to do better in times of drought,
(more rabbits die on the roads trying to find grass) certainly around here I
have never seen so many, up to 20 at a time circling over the garden (maybe
they are trying to tell me something!) and the good news is for the first
time in years we have seen a down turn in magpie numbers. Should give the
smaller hedge birds a fighting chance.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 20-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

We have some chick crumbs left over from raising the ducklings, so if anyone
thinks those will help the buzzards, please let me know.

The crumbs won't, but the ducklings would.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 20-10-2003, 11:12 PM
Sacha

in article , Charlie Pridham at
wrote on 20/10/03 10:21 am:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

Interesting how all this differs in different places. We aren't seeing an
increase in rabbits but magpie numbers appear unaffected. This is only a
cursory inspection when in the car, BTW! We get almost no magpies in our
garden - perhaps because we have a rookery? Dunno.
But the need for rain is desperate - it's months since we had a worthwhile
downpour.
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Old 21-10-2003, 09:32 AM
Franz Heymann

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

That is most exceptional. The only occasions of which I know when buzzards
are seen in flocks are when they are on migration.

and the good news is for the first
time in years we have seen a down turn in magpie numbers. Should give the
smaller hedge birds a fighting chance.

Franz

Old 22-10-2003, 09:13 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message

certainly around here
have never seen so many, up to 20 at a time circling over the garden

(maybe
they are trying to tell me something!)

That is most exceptional. The only occasions of which I know when

buzzards
are seen in flocks are when they are on migration.

Franz

Well 4's and 5's is common here but 20 was a bit unusual! I did not realise
that they migrated as we see them all year and especially in winter when
they often sit on fence posts so you can get a bit closer. I like them and
we have 4 pairs nesting within sight of the house most years so there must
be loads of food around as you would expect large birds to need a larger
hunting range. certainly made a come back as they were extremely rare just
20 years ago.

Old 22-10-2003, 06:02 PM
Franz Heymann

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message

certainly around here
have never seen so many, up to 20 at a time circling over the garden

(maybe
they are trying to tell me something!)

That is most exceptional. The only occasions of which I know when

buzzards
are seen in flocks are when they are on migration.

Franz

Well 4's and 5's is common here but 20 was a bit unusual! I did not

realise
that they migrated as we see them all year and especially in winter when
they often sit on fence posts so you can get a bit closer. I like them and
we have 4 pairs nesting within sight of the house most years so there must
be loads of food around as you would expect large birds to need a larger
hunting range. certainly made a come back as they were extremely rare just
20 years ago.

What a nice place you live in.

Franz

Allotment agreement with Council - sign or not sign Rajinder Nijjhar United Kingdom 7 20-03-2010 10:05 AM
Sign of the garden centre times........ Sacha United Kingdom 47 13-12-2005 11:07 PM
Circulation Times BenignVanilla Ponds 4 05-02-2003 06:52 AM
Circulation Times BenignVanilla Ponds (alternative) 0 04-02-2003 04:28 PM