Old 22-10-2003, 09:32 PM
Gareth Jones

Default Where to buy mushroom spawn?

In article , Jaques d'Altrades
writes
What I was suggesting was a DIY version of your spawn. Unless your soil
is slightly alkaline with a fair amount of humus you are unlikely to get
cultivated mushrooms 'taking'.

Try Googling on 'spawn' and ' field mushroom'.

Perhaps I should have mentioned in the first post that I did spend quite
some time trawling the net first before posting.
Loads of stuff on fungi and various mushroom kits, but I've got a field
and I wanna use it! And since wild mushrooms grow in fields, I guessed
it was a safe bet to try and sow wild mushrooms in there :-)

I've read that wild mushrooms only grow well in certain circumstances,
but as written previously, I tried them in a lawn years ago and it
worked fine. Hence my surprise in not being able to find any
commercially available spawn nowadays.

Maybe my best bet is to try and find some 'ripe' wild mushrooms and
collect the spawn from them as suggested.
Trouble is, not sure where there are any mushroom fields around here!

I still can't believe I can't get a packet..... I can visualise the
thing so clearly in my mind...... all those years ago.....

Gareth Jones

"Reality sucks - go watch a Star Trek"

To email, remove the '_ns_' from