Old 22-10-2003, 10:02 PM
Pam - gardengal

Default Horseradish Propogation

"That Flower Dude" wrote in message
Hello group,

Newbie here. I just received a bag of several horseradish roots from a
friend and would like to plant them in the garden. Someone told me to
just stick them in the ground about 6 inches down and I would be good to
go. However, I am wondering how do I keep them coming back? I mean if I
put them in the ground and then pull them up when I need to use one, how
does it continue to multiply? I know this probably sounds sorta lame,
but I have never grown horseradish or any root before. Any information
owuld be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

You will more likely be cursing the day you planted them cuz once planted,
you will never be rid of them. Horseradish produce long tap roots - it is
impossible to dig the root without breaking and every broken chunk will be
the start of a new plant. Harvest to your heart's content - there will
always be more.

pam - gardengal