Old 22-10-2003, 08:12 PM
That Flower Dude

Default Horseradish Propogation

Hello group,

Newbie here. I just received a bag of several horseradish roots from a
friend and would like to plant them in the garden. Someone told me to
just stick them in the ground about 6 inches down and I would be good to
go. However, I am wondering how do I keep them coming back? I mean if I
put them in the ground and then pull them up when I need to use one, how
does it continue to multiply? I know this probably sounds sorta lame,
but I have never grown horseradish or any root before. Any information
owuld be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Old 22-10-2003, 08:42 PM
John Bachman

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 19:10:56 GMT, That Flower Dude
wrote:

Hello group,

Newbie here. I just received a bag of several horseradish roots from a
friend and would like to plant them in the garden. Someone told me to
just stick them in the ground about 6 inches down and I would be good to
go. However, I am wondering how do I keep them coming back? I mean if I
put them in the ground and then pull them up when I need to use one, how
does it continue to multiply? I know this probably sounds sorta lame,
but I have never grown horseradish or any root before. Any information
owuld be greatly appreciated.

Have no fear of them not coming back. Fear them taking over your
garden and then your house. Very, very invasive.

John

Old 22-10-2003, 10:02 PM
Pam - gardengal

"That Flower Dude" wrote in message
Hello group,

Newbie here. I just received a bag of several horseradish roots from a
friend and would like to plant them in the garden. Someone told me to
just stick them in the ground about 6 inches down and I would be good to
go. However, I am wondering how do I keep them coming back? I mean if I
put them in the ground and then pull them up when I need to use one, how
does it continue to multiply? I know this probably sounds sorta lame,
but I have never grown horseradish or any root before. Any information
owuld be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

You will more likely be cursing the day you planted them cuz once planted,
you will never be rid of them. Horseradish produce long tap roots - it is
impossible to dig the root without breaking and every broken chunk will be
the start of a new plant. Harvest to your heart's content - there will
always be more.

pam - gardengal

Old 23-10-2003, 08:32 AM
gregpresley

A good plan would be to put them in a part of your garden that is walled off
or cemented away from other plants. Maybe a little area cut off by a
sidewalk or something. They're not very ornamental, so even up against a
garage or shed would be great.

Old 23-10-2003, 10:42 AM
dstvns

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 00:48:06 -0700, "gregpresley"
wrote:

A good plan would be to put them in a part of your garden that is walled off
or cemented away from other plants. Maybe a little area cut off by a
sidewalk or something. They're not very ornamental, so even up against a
garage or shed would be great.

I would slightly disagree with the ornamental part. I have a large
horseradish plant and it is very beautiful around June. The broad
leaves are fairly weedy-looking but when the dozens of whispy white
flowers come out it looks extremely nice...until the flower stalk
falls over heh, then it needs some tidying up.

I don't know about the invasive part, I followed other peoples advice
and kept my horseradish in a secluded place. Even in the worst of
soil it has prospered, sprouting 4-foot tall vegetation every year.

Right now I have the mint and jerusalem artichokes (sunchokes)
fighting over another corner of the yard, but I think the j-chokes
won. Their flowers are interesting...they smell like tootsie rolls
heheh.

Dan

Old 23-10-2003, 06:02 PM
simy1

That Flower Dude wrote in message ...

Newbie here. I just received a bag of several horseradish roots from a

I am wondering how do I keep them coming back? I mean if I

but I have never grown horseradish or any root before. Any information

well, this would count as repetition (newbie who grows horseradish and
wonders how to grow them as opposed to how to stop it). Truth be told,
I placed my horseradish in a fairly shady, poor soil, sandy corner of
my property, and it has never really prospered. Killing it is another
matter. I once weeded it unadvertently, and the root survived
underground two years without getting any food. The sorrel right next
to it grows like crazy.

But that is that particular corner. 99% of the time (like at my
parents place, in heavy clay) the horseradish corner becomes
horseradish only, you start considering horseradish sorbet as a way to
use all that stuff, and finally you start having nightmares of
horseradish taking over the whole yard. The spring leaves are a decent
salad green when they are about two inches. This will help you
tolerate the infestation.
Old 23-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Mommy Bartlo

horseradish is wonderful with roast beast.

--MommyBartlo--

om...

Old 23-10-2003, 08:22 PM
Joseph Bartlo

The cowardly, anonymous pest posting as Mommy Bartlo wrote:

horseradish is wonderful with roast beast.

Quit selectively mentiuoning bull---, pest. There's others much more
important.
Old 24-10-2003, 04:22 PM
Byvalve1

no friend gives someone a bag of roots to plant all around their garden unless
they are evening up the score.