Old 22-10-2003, 11:42 PM
animaux

Default Trimming/dividing ornamental grasses

What kind of grasses are they? I know ornamental, but which ones will determine
how or what to do.

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 18:17:51 -0400, "Natty_Dread"
opined:

Hi friends -- Last year I planted my first two ornamental grass plants ever
in a border bed in my back yard, and I guess because of all the rain we've
gotten this year, they have grown much wider in circumfrence than I
anticipated.. The two of them together are really too wide for the bed
they're in, so I'd like to decrease their size around the middle. What
would be the best way to accomplish this? Should I divide them in halves
and transplant the other halves elsewhere in my yard? If so, when would be
the best time? I'm in the Washington DC metro area, zone 7; the seed tops
have begun to separe, but as far as I can tell they haven't released any
seeds yet. My soil is heavily clay, but I've amended all of my beds so
everything I've planted has done very well with the exception of a couple of
dwarf euonymous bushes. The grasses currently get full sun exposure for
most of the day from late spring to early fall; I have two other beds in on
my property to which I could move some of the divisions. One is up against
the house (light colored vinyl siding) and gets full sun most of the day,
and the other gets full sun in the morning and filtered sunlight in the
afternoon. Any suggestions for me as to how to
trim/divide/transplant/whatever these grasses? Thank so much!

Rhonda
Alexandria, VA
Zone 7

Better a bleeding heart than no heart at all.