Old 22-10-2003, 11:22 PM
Natty_Dread

Default Trimming/dividing ornamental grasses

Hi friends -- Last year I planted my first two ornamental grass plants ever
in a border bed in my back yard, and I guess because of all the rain we've
gotten this year, they have grown much wider in circumfrence than I
anticipated.. The two of them together are really too wide for the bed
they're in, so I'd like to decrease their size around the middle. What
would be the best way to accomplish this? Should I divide them in halves
and transplant the other halves elsewhere in my yard? If so, when would be
the best time? I'm in the Washington DC metro area, zone 7; the seed tops
have begun to separe, but as far as I can tell they haven't released any
seeds yet. My soil is heavily clay, but I've amended all of my beds so
everything I've planted has done very well with the exception of a couple of
dwarf euonymous bushes. The grasses currently get full sun exposure for
most of the day from late spring to early fall; I have two other beds in on
my property to which I could move some of the divisions. One is up against
the house (light colored vinyl siding) and gets full sun most of the day,
and the other gets full sun in the morning and filtered sunlight in the
afternoon. Any suggestions for me as to how to
trim/divide/transplant/whatever these grasses? Thank so much!

Rhonda
Alexandria, VA
Zone 7

======================

Better a bleeding heart than no heart at all.

Old 22-10-2003, 11:42 PM
animaux

What kind of grasses are they? I know ornamental, but which ones will determine
how or what to do.

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 18:17:51 -0400, "Natty_Dread"
opined:

Old 23-10-2003, 02:02 AM
Natty_Dread

"animaux" wrote in message
What kind of grasses are they? I know ornamental, but which ones will

determine
how or what to do.

I don't know what the specific cultivar is - I got them at Lowe's and the
tag just said ornamental grass. They look kind of like pampas grass, about
six feet tall with long flowing seed heads that are smooth instead of being
fuzzy or shaggy. I don't know if that helps or not, but thanks for trying!
:-)

Old 23-10-2003, 03:22 AM
animaux

This is a list of grasses which they can be. I recommend you do a search on the
cultivation of those grasses once you find out what you have. Some ornamental
grasses are very invasive and spread by runners. Some are clumping grasses
which max out in size, but can still get very large. I have a Miscanthus
sinensis 'Zebrinas' which is 8 feet tall. Here are some things for you to
search for photos and see if you can identify them.

Miscanthus sinensis
Pennisetum setaceum
Seloana cortaderia

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 20:49:06 -0400, "Natty_Dread"
opined:

.. .

Old 23-10-2003, 04:02 PM
Beecrofter

Cut them back in early spring , pry them from the ground. and hack
them into divisions. They don't do as well where it snows divided in
the fall.

Old 24-10-2003, 12:02 AM
Natty_Dread

"animaux" wrote in message
This is a list of grasses which they can be. I recommend you do a search

on the
cultivation of those grasses once you find out what you have. Some

ornamental
grasses are very invasive and spread by runners. Some are clumping

grasses
which max out in size, but can still get very large. I have a Miscanthus
sinensis 'Zebrinas' which is 8 feet tall. Here are some things for you to
search for photos and see if you can identify them.

Miscanthus sinensis
Pennisetum setaceum
Seloana cortaderia

Of all those, it looks the most like Miscanthus sinensis, in particular one
cultivar I saw called Silverfeather. I found a lot of references on the Web
for identifying and buying these grasses, but nothing so far about growing
and caring for them. Do you have any sites you can recommend?

Thanks!
Rhonda

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 20:49:06 -0400, "Natty_Dread"
opined:

.. .

Old 24-10-2003, 12:02 AM
Natty_Dread

"Beecrofter" wrote in message
om...
Cut them back in early spring , pry them from the ground. and hack
them into divisions. They don't do as well where it snows divided in
the fall.

I'm in zone 7, the Washington DC area. We don't get all that much snow, but
it does snow usually a couple of times during the winter, just not all
winter long, and we rarely have snow on the ground for an extended period of
time. What do you think?

Old 24-10-2003, 02:22 PM
animaux

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 18:49:54 -0400, "Natty_Dread"
opined:

Of all those, it looks the most like Miscanthus sinensis, in particular one
cultivar I saw called Silverfeather. I found a lot of references on the Web
for identifying and buying these grasses, but nothing so far about growing
and caring for them. Do you have any sites you can recommend?

Thanks!
Rhonda

Okay, Miscanthus is a clumping grass. The base can range in size two feet, to 5
feet in diameter. The upper spray of foliage much larger. My advice is to
leave them in place over winter. Do not cut anything off and just enjoy the
winter interest of the pale, tan grass plumes. In early spring you will notice
signs of life emerging. At that time, you can cut the whole plant to about a
foot tall. Take a good, strong garden fork and pry the whole plant up. With a
very sharp knife, cut out sections and pot them into containers or plant them
elsewhere, but in a small area, you may not be able to have two plants of this
size. You can give some away, or put them on the compost pile. Either way, you
can do this work in the spring.

Another tip on growing ornamental grass is to do what called "combing" the
center. Every few years I have to go in and comb out the center of my
ornamental grasses. In the center there may be some rotting stems or the stems
may be so bunched together it can prevent any new foliage emerging. I
especially do this on plants known as sedge, but are also referred to as
grasses. Cutting those to the ground is almost like killing the plant! They
should ONLY be combed and not cut back.

Anyway, I may be confusing you.

Check here for info.

http://www.suite101.com/articles.cfm/ornamental

When you search, enter "ornamental grass cultivation"and you will find a lot of
information.

Victoria
Old 25-10-2003, 05:12 AM
Natty_Dread

"animaux" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks! I appreciate the info. :-)

Old 25-10-2003, 03:42 PM
Beecrofter

"Natty_Dread" wrote in message ...
"Beecrofter" wrote in message
om...
Cut them back in early spring , pry them from the ground. and hack
them into divisions. They don't do as well where it snows divided in
the fall.

I'm in zone 7, the Washington DC area. We don't get all that much snow, but
it does snow usually a couple of times during the winter, just not all
winter long, and we rarely have snow on the ground for an extended period of
time. What do you think?

If they stayed green all winter then go for it.

Old 25-10-2003, 09:42 PM
Natty_Dread

"Beecrofter" wrote in message
om...
"Natty_Dread" wrote in message

"Beecrofter" wrote in message
om...
Cut them back in early spring , pry them from the ground. and hack
them into divisions. They don't do as well where it snows divided in
the fall.

I'm in zone 7, the Washington DC area. We don't get all that much snow,

but
it does snow usually a couple of times during the winter, just not all
winter long, and we rarely have snow on the ground for an extended

period of
time. What do you think?

If they stayed green all winter then go for it.

Hmmm...nope, they definitely turn straw-colored all the way nearly to the
base. I guess I'll wait til spring. Thanks again!