Old 23-10-2003, 02:02 PM
Christopher Norton

Default Hedge layering

The message
from "Michael Berridge" contains these words:

Davy Murray wrote in message ...
Hi there.

I have some beech trees at the back of my garden, which are part of a
continuous hedge which runs down behind the properties in the street.

My
trees have obviously been left to develop and are now about 15-18m

high.
All the growth is going upwards and I need to encourage growth lower

down
and aslo fill a gap where some trees have been removed.

I have seen layering being done on TV and wondered if this could be

done
with my trees. The trunk stems range from about 120mm to 300mm

diameter.

They sound much too big for layering, the largest I've ever seen layered
are about 1/3 or that. These trunks are so big that they will snap. The
trees are themselves far too tall for layering. Not too sure how a beech
will react to a very serious trimming so that it can re-grow from the
base, then you could have some success.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Beech responds quite well to trimming but thats a mighty hedge to cut
right back! May be possible in stages but I would`nt consider it in one
crack.

--
email farmer chris on
Please don`t use