Old 19-10-2003, 07:43 AM
Davy Murray

Default Hedge layering

Hi there.

I have some beech trees at the back of my garden, which are part of a
continuous hedge which runs down behind the properties in the street. My
trees have obviously been left to develop and are now about 15-18m high.
All the growth is going upwards and I need to encourage growth lower down
and aslo fill a gap where some trees have been removed.

I have seen layering being done on TV and wondered if this could be done
with my trees. The trunk stems range from about 120mm to 300mm diameter.

Any advice anyone?

Davy

Old 19-10-2003, 11:22 AM
Dave Liquorice

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 07:37:32 +0100, Davy Murray wrote:

I have seen layering being done on TV and wondered if this could be
done with my trees. The trunk stems range from about 120mm to 300mm
diameter.

To big to lay I think. 50mm would be about the maximum. You part cut
through an upright then bend it over and weave it between the ends of
other uprights also cut and bent over. As the top section is still
partially connected to the root system it doesn't die but continues to
grow forming a very dense and stock proof hedge.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 19-10-2003, 07:22 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Davy Murray" contains these words:

Hi there.

I have some beech trees at the back of my garden, which are part of a
continuous hedge which runs down behind the properties in the street. My
trees have obviously been left to develop and are now about 15-18m high.
All the growth is going upwards and I need to encourage growth lower down
and aslo fill a gap where some trees have been removed.

I have seen layering being done on TV and wondered if this could be done
with my trees. The trunk stems range from about 120mm to 300mm diameter.

I think you mean hedge laying. Layering is when you bend a stem down
to the ground so that it makes new roots where it touches earth.

Those beech are too big for laying, but if you saw the trunks off very
short, say 1ft tall, they will spring up again from the trunk below the
cut, then by regular trimming you can make a thick new hedge in a few
years time.

Janet.

Old 21-10-2003, 09:23 PM
Michael Berridge

Davy Murray wrote in message ...
Hi there.

I have some beech trees at the back of my garden, which are part of a
continuous hedge which runs down behind the properties in the street.

My
trees have obviously been left to develop and are now about 15-18m

high.
All the growth is going upwards and I need to encourage growth lower

down
and aslo fill a gap where some trees have been removed.

I have seen layering being done on TV and wondered if this could be

done
with my trees. The trunk stems range from about 120mm to 300mm

diameter.

They sound much too big for layering, the largest I've ever seen layered
are about 1/3 or that. These trunks are so big that they will snap. The
trees are themselves far too tall for layering. Not too sure how a beech
will react to a very serious trimming so that it can re-grow from the
base, then you could have some success.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 23-10-2003, 02:02 PM
Christopher Norton

The message
from "Michael Berridge" contains these words:

[...]

Beech responds quite well to trimming but thats a mighty hedge to cut
right back! May be possible in stages but I would`nt consider it in one
crack.

--
email farmer chris on
Please don`t use

Old 23-10-2003, 07:32 PM
John Rouse

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes
Those beech are too big for laying, but if you saw the trunks off very
short, say 1ft tall, they will spring up again from the trunk below the
cut, then by regular trimming you can make a thick new hedge in a few
years time.

Aye, and the rest. I dug out the entire stump of a beech that had been a
large tree, and been cut right back and now the odd piece of root I left
in is sprouting leaves.

John
--
John Rouse
Old 25-10-2003, 09:02 AM
Davy Murray

Thanx for your advice

The hedge forms part of the boundary to the back of my garden, so it would
have to be something attempted over a good few years to get it all cut back.

I'll probably experiment with a couple at the edges and see how they recover
and regrow. A long term project I think!

Davy

Old 29-10-2003, 02:02 PM

wrote:

I have some beech trees at the back of my garden
snip
I have seen layering being done on TV and wondered if this could be done
with my trees. The trunk stems range from about 120mm to 300mm diameter.

As it happens, last weekend the National Hedgelaying Championships
took place in our village (with very little advertising!), so if you
want to see how it should be done, and the different styles from
different parts of the country, drive along the B1046 in Barton,
Cambridgeshire.

Back on topic - many of the trunks which have been laid were very
large diameter, certainly over 120mm, so it would be worth
experimenting.

Tom
--
Tom Chisholm
(Remove 'falseteeth' to e-mail reply)

Old 29-10-2003, 06:12 PM

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 16:49:23 GMT, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

Is that where you got the idea for making a hedge out of a row of urg posts?

Sorry about that - Free Agent insisted that it hadn't been sent until
I removed my 'falseteeth' - also it did not appear when I downloaded
new headers.

Tom