Old 23-10-2003, 03:32 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Weeds (was Getting rid of ground elder)

"Franz Heymann" wrote in
:

The weed that bugs me more than anything else is that dratted small
Epilobium (is it Epilobium montanum?) Seems like every single damn
seed germinates! and the stems pull off just above the roots, so you
have to make sure you don't just pull the top off.

More of a nuisance to me than ground elder, bindweed and brambles
combined (OK, well maybe not the brambles...)

Yes. That one is a real little *******, if you will excuse my
language. It gets into all the most impossible crooks and nannies and
is the most prolific seeder in my garden and grows with the speed of
light. It is helped along by the fact that one of my neighbours has a
paddock which he seems to use specifically for cultivating E montanum

It's got into my greenhouse! I don't think I shall ever get it out again.

I wonder why this weed (Epilobium) is so rarely mentioned in the usual
gardeners tale of woe? Does it even have a common name?

The other one I find a real pain I can't even remember the latin name of -
like a sort of weedy geum with tiny yellow flowers and knobbly reddish
roots that work into every crevice.

I call it 'that thing'. It knows what I mean.

Give me dandelions any day: my rabbit assistants soon reduce the roots to
useful compost...

Victoria