Old 23-10-2003, 06:23 PM
jane

Default Weeds (was Getting rid of ground elder)

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 17:27:47 +0100, Victoria Clare
wrote:

(jane) wrote in
:
~
~ ~The other one I find a real pain I can't even remember the latin name
~ of - ~like a sort of weedy geum with tiny yellow flowers and knobbly
~ reddish ~roots that work into every crevice.
~ ~
~ ~I call it 'that thing'. It knows what I mean.
~
~ My favourite hate I called strawberry stuff (or worse) till one day
~ my memory woke up and told me it was creeping cinquefoil (potentilla
~ reptans). That too has yellow flowers and runs everywhere... and the
~ roots regenerate too. Sounds like it could be your geum-like plant.
~
~Nope, creeping cinquefoil is a pretty little thing with real flowers and
~delicate leaves. I rather like it (but then, I'm not overrun with it: I
~think it likes more sun than we get here)

Hmm I have a serious hatred of it since trying to clear an orchard of it.
Roots go down way too far and are very fragile - and bingo, three more
plants....

~'That thing' has blobby hairy leaves, long wiry stems, and manky little
~flowers with tiny petals.
~
~(pauses to rummage on Google for something similar)
~
~It is a geum! Geum urbanum or Herb bennet, apparently. Here it is trying
~to look inoffensive and wildflowerlike:
~
~http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed/pictu...um-urbanum.htm
~
~Hah, it doesn't look like that when it's wedged its roots into a 1cm square
~gap in the paving and they...won't...come...OUT!

oh! THAT thing! The one with the thrice damned burrs... I have those
everywhere and yes, I know just what you mean. A right new statesman of a
plant. Especially when you try and get said burrs off you. Or the cat.

--
jane

Mark Twain