Old 24-10-2003, 09:42 PM
Frogleg

Default Herb hardiness -- was: basic question: herbs, winter

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 15:58:05 +0000 (UTC), R Braun
wrote:

I'd like to know whether they'll survive the winter; and, if they will,
what I need to do to protect them and how far back I can cut them.
I'd like to harvest and freeze as much as I can without killing the
plants if they have a chance of coming back, but I wasn't able to
garner that infromation from the faq....

The herbs in question are sage, parsley, chives, and thyme.
I live in Urbana, Illinois (zone 5).

Maybe there should be an FAQ by experienced herb-growers. "Perennial"
is certainly open to interpretation. In my zone 7b experience, sage,
chives, and thyme are genuine perennials, and I've harvested biennial
parsley when snow-covered. Googling on the subject seemed to suggest a
hardiness zone of 6 for these, but I *know* people grow them in colder
climates. With protection? What sort?

Rosemary

Zone 8 or warmer, they say. :-)