Old 25-10-2003, 01:02 AM
V_coerulea

Default Moving a Crepe Myrtle

I've had good success moving rather small plants (8') in early to mid
spring. They get an extensive but relatively shallow root system. Be ready
to amke clean cuts through 1-2" diameter roots digging 2' out from the trunk
in all directions. You may also have to cut some that go straight down. Try
to undercut 6-8" down and slide the whole root mass onto burlap or
cardboard to slide to the new location.Cut the top by half and replant in
the new place at the same depth it was growing originally. Water well, mulch
and stake against high winds if fairly tall and especially if already leafed
out. Sandy soil is a lot easier than clay to deal with. Good luck.
Gary

"js148" wrote in message
Hi ... I just moved into a townhouse and the previous owners planted a

crepe
myrtle right next to the front door. I want to move it before it gets too
big and too old (the townhouse itself is only 2 1/2 years old so the plant
can't me very old). I'm in the Washington DC area so can anyone tell me

the
best time to transplant it? Is now okay? Should I wait until the spring?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.