Old 25-10-2003, 12:12 AM
js148

Default Moving a Crepe Myrtle

Hi ... I just moved into a townhouse and the previous owners planted a crepe
myrtle right next to the front door. I want to move it before it gets too
big and too old (the townhouse itself is only 2 1/2 years old so the plant
can't me very old). I'm in the Washington DC area so can anyone tell me the
best time to transplant it? Is now okay? Should I wait until the spring?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 25-10-2003, 01:02 AM
V_coerulea

I've had good success moving rather small plants (8') in early to mid
spring. They get an extensive but relatively shallow root system. Be ready
to amke clean cuts through 1-2" diameter roots digging 2' out from the trunk
in all directions. You may also have to cut some that go straight down. Try
to undercut 6-8" down and slide the whole root mass onto burlap or
cardboard to slide to the new location.Cut the top by half and replant in
the new place at the same depth it was growing originally. Water well, mulch
and stake against high winds if fairly tall and especially if already leafed
out. Sandy soil is a lot easier than clay to deal with. Good luck.
Gary

Old 25-10-2003, 03:02 AM
Babberney

"js148" wrote in message
Hi ... I just moved into a townhouse and the previous owners planted a

crepe
myrtle right next to the front door. I want to move it before it gets too
big and too old (the townhouse itself is only 2 1/2 years old so the plant
can't me very old). I'm in the Washington DC area so can anyone tell me

the
best time to transplant it? Is now okay? Should I wait until the spring?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

You can improve you chances of success by pruning the roots now.
Imagine the circle that represents teh edge of your futurte root ball.
divide it into sections (4, or 6, or 8). Use a sharp spade to cut
throught the edge of every other section (i.e., cut half the roots).
When you dig it up later, you'll have a head start toward transplant
recovery.

Though crapes are actually pretty good at recovering anyway, this
should help a bit to let teh plant adjust to teh move.

Keith
For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www.isa-arbor.com/home.asp.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www.treesaregood.com/

Old 26-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Wishy13764

This past April i did just that, a hardy crepe myrtle that was 12 feet high. I
cut the entire shrub almost down to the ground, dug up its large roots, and
replanted it. It recovered very easily and bloom for me this late July and I
live north of washington...nyc. And to my suprise, the move had given me 7 more
c.m. where somehow some roots must of been left there. Wonderful color now in
the fall. So i would wait around april. good luck
Old 27-10-2003, 07:02 PM
len gardener

that's what crepe myrtles do best wishy,

once planted and established they are one plant that generally should
be left alone as you can get heaps of volunteer growth from the
damaged and left behind roots, just like having a weed in the lawn
then.

but then that's just been my experience with them from days of mowing
lawns and seeing what these plants do. they are a very nice tree
especially when in flower but plant them in the right place first
time. and best not to disturb the roots of a living tree anytime.

my suggestion for js148 is poison that tree and buy and plant a new
one.

len

snipped

--
happy gardening

http://home.dnet.aunz.com/gardnlen/

[IMG] code is On

crepe myrtle Marion Margoshes Gardening 2 27-08-2003 04:32 AM
crepe myrtle Marion Margoshes Gardening 0 25-08-2003 05:02 PM
Do I Prune Crepe Myrtle or Not??? corky Lawns 3 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
crepe myrtle kate Gardening 12 14-04-2003 01:44 AM
Do I Prune Crepe Myrtle or Not??? corky Lawns 3 02-01-2003 01:55 AM