Old 25-10-2003, 05:12 AM
Dianna Visek

Default Herb hardiness -- was: basic question: herbs, winter

Hardiness is a tricky issue. Where I live (zone 5b), some sages and
thymes are hardy and some are not. In general, the variegated ones
are more tender. A lot depends on the particulars of the winter.
When we get more snow, more things survive.

Hardiness is also affected by dampness around the stems. Some herbs,
such as lavender, survive fine if their leaves are kept dry enough.
They hate tree leaves drifting around them. They like sand and gravel
in the soil and directly under their stems.

Hardiness is probably best addressed locally. Knowing your zone isn't
really enough.

Regards, Dianna

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 20:41:25 GMT, Frogleg wrote:

Maybe there should be an FAQ by experienced herb-growers. "Perennial"
is certainly open to interpretation. In my zone 7b experience, sage,
chives, and thyme are genuine perennials, and I've harvested biennial
parsley when snow-covered. Googling on the subject seemed to suggest a
hardiness zone of 6 for these, but I *know* people grow them in colder
climates. With protection? What sort?

Rosemary

Zone 8 or warmer, they say. :-)

To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.