Old 25-10-2003, 02:12 PM
S. Clark

Default [IBC] NABF Newsletter

Alan,
I didn't want to ramble on with the details. I didn't know how much space
would be devoted to any one particular feature so I had to provide the sound
bytes only. Actually, I want to start to look at the "heritage" bonsai that
are being passed down now from one generation to another. I look at local
artists like Alex as sort of the founding fathers of bonsai in the US. Many
of these early bonsai pioneers are passing their art to individuals and
institutuions. In fact, thanks to Mary Bloomer, the Chicago Botanic Garden
received several really wonderful trees she had developed over the years.
I'll try to post some pictures in the IBC site. As I read the other
articles in the newsletter I see that many "heritage" are now becomming the
seeds of many new collections in the heartland and flyover country. I
believe this process will sow the seeds of intrest and appreciation in
bonsai and hence insure its future in the American fabric. I'd be
interested in seeing what is happening in Europe and elsewhere. When I get
more information I'll put together a little article for BCI Magazine and try
to keep a running series on this process, if there is any interest. I think
it's a huge story for us in the bonsai community, certainly bigger than the
newsletter can present in one setting. Thank you for your interest.
Scott

"Alan Walker" wrote in message
Scott: I enjoyed your story about the bridge across time linking Alex and

Susumu
Nakamura. Well crafted. However, I was left wanting to hear the rest of

the story,
as Paul Harvey might say. Any plans for sharing the stories behind the

story about
Nakamura's donations? Stories about the idea, the bonsai, the efforts and

process
of getting approval to import them, selecting a curator, etc. are what I'd

like to
hear/read.
Inquiring minds want to know! ;-)
Alan Walker, Lake Charles, LA, USA