Old 21-10-2003, 08:12 PM
Andy Rutledge

Default [IBC] NABF Newsletter

Hey all,

The latest newsletter for the North American Bonsai Federation is published
at
http://www.bonsai-wbff.org/nabf/news...etter4main.htm . There are
some cool contributions and nice pictures. Enjoy!

Kind regards,
Andy Rutledge, webmaster
NABF www.bonsai-wbff.org/nabf/main.htm

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 21-10-2003, 09:42 PM
Chris Cochrane

Hi Andy.

Thanks for this latest edition, Andy. Jack Douthitt & Scott Clark did a
great job coordinating articles.

I especially liked Scott Clark's article on a bonsai bridge begun by Alex
Alexander 60 years ago and completed by Susumu Nakamura:
http://www.bonsai-wbff.org/nabf/news...agobotanic.htm
It should be read alongside Scott's other article on the Mid-America Bonsai
Exhibition (also at Chicago Botanic Garden):
http://www.bonsai-wbff.org/nabf/news...midamerica.htm

Andy Smith's article on collecting is awesome. He writes
What is charming about these old specimens is that they
constantly speak the language of the land from which
they came.

Mine chants, " 'Lowe's knows,' Row 6"... but, then, I don't face snakes
(often), either... :-)
http://www.bonsai-wbff.org/nabf/news...collecting.htm

There are many great surprises. I was heartened to see that the National
Bonsai and Penjing Museum had lent 3 suiseki to another institution:
http://www.bonsai-wbff.org/nabf/newsletter4/meijer.htm

Thanks, again.

Best wishes,
Chris... C. Cochrane, , Richmond VA USA

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 22-10-2003, 03:02 AM
S. Clark

Chris,
Thank you for your kind words. Jack did all the work. He is a driving force
for bonsai in the Midwest! As for Alex and Susumu Nakamura, it's a story
that should not be lost in time.
Regards,
Scott

****

****

Old 22-10-2003, 03:42 PM
Alan Walker

Scott: I enjoyed your story about the bridge across time linking Alex and Susumu
Nakamura. Well crafted. However, I was left wanting to hear the rest of the story,
as Paul Harvey might say. Any plans for sharing the stories behind the story about
Nakamura's donations? Stories about the idea, the bonsai, the efforts and process
of getting approval to import them, selecting a curator, etc. are what I'd like to
hear/read.
Inquiring minds want to know! ;-)
Alan Walker, Lake Charles, LA, USA
http://LCBSBonsai.org http://bonsai-bci.com
================================
=======

Old 22-10-2003, 09:42 PM
Jerry Meislik

Very nice job on this latest NABF issue. Very nice range of information,
pictures and bonsai.
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
Zone 4-5
http://www.bonsaihunk.8m.com/

Old 25-10-2003, 02:12 PM
S. Clark

Alan,
I didn't want to ramble on with the details. I didn't know how much space
would be devoted to any one particular feature so I had to provide the sound
bytes only. Actually, I want to start to look at the "heritage" bonsai that
are being passed down now from one generation to another. I look at local
artists like Alex as sort of the founding fathers of bonsai in the US. Many
of these early bonsai pioneers are passing their art to individuals and
institutuions. In fact, thanks to Mary Bloomer, the Chicago Botanic Garden
received several really wonderful trees she had developed over the years.
I'll try to post some pictures in the IBC site. As I read the other
articles in the newsletter I see that many "heritage" are now becomming the
seeds of many new collections in the heartland and flyover country. I
believe this process will sow the seeds of intrest and appreciation in
bonsai and hence insure its future in the American fabric. I'd be
interested in seeing what is happening in Europe and elsewhere. When I get
more information I'll put together a little article for BCI Magazine and try
to keep a running series on this process, if there is any interest. I think
it's a huge story for us in the bonsai community, certainly bigger than the
newsletter can present in one setting. Thank you for your interest.
Scott

"Alan Walker" wrote in message
Scott: I enjoyed your story about the bridge across time linking Alex and

Susumu
Nakamura. Well crafted. However, I was left wanting to hear the rest of

the story,
as Paul Harvey might say. Any plans for sharing the stories behind the

story about
Nakamura's donations? Stories about the idea, the bonsai, the efforts and

process
of getting approval to import them, selecting a curator, etc. are what I'd

like to
hear/read.
Inquiring minds want to know! ;-)
Alan Walker, Lake Charles, LA, USA
http://LCBSBonsai.org http://bonsai-bci.com
================================
"

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 27-10-2003, 12:43 AM
Alan Walker

Scott: Fair enough. I just wanted to alert you to the interest in the larger
story.
I am very interested in the archiving of bonsai history. I'm afraid that
too often we do not appreciate the need for it until it is too late. I suppose that
is not so different from the common failure to photograph a nondescript tree which
eventually is trained into a fine bonsai.
We have lost some of our bonsai pioneers, and others may not be with us
much longer. I would love to find someone interested in developing a grant for an
oral or video history project. It would make a fascinating thesis project for some
grad student.
I would also like to find a way for the NBF or similar permanent bonsai
facility to develop an electronic archival project for eventual subscription service
to the rest of us via the net. This type of project is a candidate for cooperative
networking with the Nippon Bonsai Association, the European Bonsai Association, and
other groups around the world. ]
Food for thought. The trick will be to find the manpower and funding, of
course.

"S. Clark" wrote:
Alan,
I didn't want to ramble on with the details. I didn't know how much space would be
devoted to any one particular feature so I had to provide the sound bytes only.
Actually, I want to start to look at the "heritage" bonsai that are being passed
down now from one generation to another. I look at local artists like Alex as sort
of the founding fathers of bonsai in the US. Many of these early bonsai pioneers
are passing their art to individuals and institutions. In fact, thanks to Mary
Bloomer, the Chicago Botanic Garden received several really wonderful trees she had
developed over the years.
I'll try to post some pictures in the IBC site. As I read the other
articles in the newsletter I see that many "heritage" are now becoming the seeds of
many new collections in the heartland and flyover country. I believe this process
will sow the seeds of interest and appreciation in bonsai and hence insure its