Old 25-10-2003, 06:12 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Dying Red Mayple

Morning all,
Here I am again with another question. My next door neighbor

is moving and she has a 3-3 1/2' Red Mayple and it is not growing
nor doing anything, in fact It has only one red leaf on it at the
present. It seems to be dying, question.. If we dug it up and
croped it back to where the live leaf is, and trimmed the roots,
might it then grow as a Bonsai? Otherwise it will just sit there
and die. I would like to try at least and see, who knows, it
might live that way. Any opions greatly appreciated..
Barb
Zone 9 North of Houston

In Zone 9, _I_ would let it go. Few, if any, Japanese red maples
(Acer palmatum and it's 1,001 cultivars) do well in climates
warmer than zone 8 (where I am) -- and they often struggle here.
The fact that it is 3 feet tall and has one leaf at the end of
your long, hot summer is probably indicative that this tree is
very unhappy.

It is unlikely to be any less unhappy in a bonsai pot. Dig it if
you want, but then never let it see full sun. Even morning sun
where you are may be too much. And it's likely to even be too
warm in full shade. In a pot, near-continuous misting would be
mandatory in warm months. And even then . . .

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++