Old 24-10-2003, 04:12 PM
Barb Alexander

Default [IBC] Dying Red Mayple

Morning all,
Here I am again with another question. My next door neighbor is moving and she has a 3-3 1/2' Red Mayple and it is not growing nor doing anything, in fact It has only one red leaf on it at the present. It seems to be dying, question.. If we dug it up and
croped it back to where the live leaf is, and trimmed the roots, might it then grow as a Bonsai? Otherwise it will just sit there and die. I would like to try at least and see, who knows, it might live that way. Any opions greatly appreciated..
Barb
Zone 9 North of Houston

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-10-2003, 04:22 PM
Jerry Meislik

Barb,
Are you sure the maple is not going into fall dormancy and shedding its
leaves?
Collecting now is not as successful as in spring, but if the tree is going
to be unavailable than go for it.
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
Zone 4-5
http://www.bonsaihunk.8m.com/ Morning all,
Here I am again with another question. My next door neighbor is moving and she
has a 3-3 1/2' Red Mayple and it is not growing nor doing anything, in fact It
has only one red leaf on it at the present. It seems to be dying, question..
If we dug it up and croped it back to where the live leaf is, and trimmed the
roots, might it then grow as a Bonsai? Otherwise it will just sit there and
die. I would like to try at least and see, who knows, it might live that way.
Any opions greatly appreciated..
Barb
Zone 9 North of Houston

************************************************** ****************************
**
************************************************** ****************************
**

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Craig Cowing

Jerry Meislik wrote:

Barb,
Are you sure the maple is not going into fall dormancy and shedding its
leaves?
Collecting now is not as successful as in spring, but if the tree is going
to be unavailable than go for it.
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
Zone 4-5

I've collected many deciduous trees in the fall with equal success to spring
collecting. I suspect this tree is doing exactly what you suggest, Jerry--shedding
it's leaves. They tend to do that.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-10-2003, 05:12 PM
Kitsune Miko

The only thing I would add to these suggestions is a
precaution on keeping the plant tto wet over the
winter. Soil should be moist, but not soggie.
Something like pumice, perlite, or Turface would be a
good medium.

Kitsune Miko
--- Craig Cowing wrote:
Jerry Meislik wrote:

Barb,
Are you sure the maple is not going into fall

dormancy and shedding its
leaves?
Collecting now is not as successful as in spring,

but if the tree is going
to be unavailable than go for it.
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
Zone 4-5

I've collected many deciduous trees in the fall with
equal success to spring
collecting. I suspect this tree is doing exactly
what you suggest, Jerry--shedding
it's leaves. They tend to do that.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

++++Sponsored, in part, by Lisa
Kanis++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

Old 24-10-2003, 05:42 PM
Jim Lewis

Jerry Meislik wrote:

Barb,
Are you sure the maple is not going into fall dormancy and

shedding its
leaves?
Collecting now is not as successful as in spring, but if the

tree is going
to be unavailable than go for it.
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
Zone 4-5

I've collected many deciduous trees in the fall with equal

success to spring
collecting. I suspect this tree is doing exactly what you

suggest, Jerry--shedding
it's leaves. They tend to do that.

MUCH too early to be losing leaves in Zone 9, which is where she
lives. There should not even be any color yet. Mine in Zone 8
is still green.

Old 24-10-2003, 06:02 PM
Kitsune Miko

MUCH too early to be losing leaves in Zone 9, which
is where she
lives. There should not even be any color yet.
Mine in Zone 8
is still green.

Yeah, but maples can drop leaves if stressed and then
leaf out again. Not a good thing to let happen, but
they do come back if the stress is not too great. You
want to keep the thing dormant until spring. So it
should be kept in low light. The pruning you will do
will balance the pruning that will happen to the
roots. Scratch the bark with your finger nail. If
you see a healthy green, the tree is alive. If you
don't see the green, don't bother digging.

Kitsune Miko

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-10-2003, 06:12 PM
Craig Cowing

Kitsune Miko wrote:

MUCH too early to be losing leaves in Zone 9, which
is where she
lives. There should not even be any color yet.
Mine in Zone 8
is still green.

And on the other end, my red maples in zone 5b/6a are completely bare!

Yeah, but maples can drop leaves if stressed and then
leaf out again. Not a good thing to let happen, but
they do come back if the stress is not too great. You
want to keep the thing dormant until spring. snip

Kitsune Miko

For that matter, if the tree is indeed stressed, she shouldn't dig it until spring.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Theo

Huston is very hot during the summer now we are in october and I do
not know if a maple there in Huston shoud react as if he was in
Chicago...
Theo

Old 24-10-2003, 10:02 PM
Kitsune Miko

Folks, if I remember the original poster's comment,
the tree is doomed if it isn't collected now. So the
best advise is to discuss how this tree can be most
safely dug. In California, I transplant many things
now and they survive because of the aftercare. So
what would be the prime aftercare for this maple in
?Texas?

Kitsune Miko

Old 24-10-2003, 10:12 PM
Jim Lewis

Zone 9 is at the penultimate southern range of the Japanese red
maple (it's actually TOO hot for them there -- especially in
pots), and pretty close to the red line on the American red
maple, though they (the American tree) do grow in Miami, which is
zone 10.

So, in an area like Houston, you can figure that it won't take
much to stress either species, and as someone said it is NOT
advisable to dig a stressed tree if there's any way to avoid it.
Over the winter in the south (and Houston qualifies ;-), it
should be cut back (in place) and watered copiously. A high P
and K fertilizer probably wouldn't hurt at this time of year,
either. Scatter some superphosphate and wood ash around the base
of the tree and water in well.

Old 24-10-2003, 11:22 PM
Alan Walker

Barb: You might want to consult the BCI Species Guide on Acer rubrum at
http://bonsai-bci.com/species/rubrum.html
Alan Walker, Lake Charles, LA, USA
http://LCBSBonsai.org http://bonsai-bci.com
================================
Jim Lewis wrote:
Zone 9 is at the penultimate southern range of the Japanese red
maple (it's actually TOO hot for them there -- especially in
pots), and pretty close to the red line on the American red
maple, though they (the American tree) do grow in Miami, which is
zone 10.

So, in an area like Houston, you can figure that it won't take
much to stress either species, and as someone said it is NOT
advisable to dig a stressed tree if there's any way to avoid it.
Over the winter in the south (and Houston qualifies ;-), it
should be cut back (in place) and watered copiously. A high P
and K fertilizer probably wouldn't hurt at this time of year,
either. Scatter some superphosphate and wood ash around the base
of the tree and water in well.
=====
Houston is very hot during the summer. now we are in october, and I do not know
if a maple there in Houston should react as if he was in Chicago...

Old 25-10-2003, 08:32 AM
Theo

Hi
The point is that the person that wants to collect it knows nothing
about maples nor about their care , so she thinks *is doomed*
this is the hinge of all problems
is it mostly dead.. so witdrowing from ground will definitively kill it
or is just in a dvanced dormancy.. ?
could she wait until spring?
in spring if it will sprout again it means it is ok if will not it
means that was going to die anyway.
if it is really going to die she will do an useless job to take it
away .. if it is not she will have all chanches to make a Bonsai next
spring.. should she try to just keep the soil moist during this time
until spring , and that's all
Theo

--- Theo wrote:

Huston is very hot during the summer now we are
in october and I do
not know if a maple there in Huston shoud react
as if he was in
Chicago...
Theo

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 25-10-2003, 06:12 PM
Jim Lewis

Morning all,
Here I am again with another question. My next door neighbor

is moving and she has a 3-3 1/2' Red Mayple and it is not growing
nor doing anything, in fact It has only one red leaf on it at the
present. It seems to be dying, question.. If we dug it up and
croped it back to where the live leaf is, and trimmed the roots,
might it then grow as a Bonsai? Otherwise it will just sit there
and die. I would like to try at least and see, who knows, it
might live that way. Any opions greatly appreciated..
Barb
Zone 9 North of Houston

In Zone 9, _I_ would let it go. Few, if any, Japanese red maples
(Acer palmatum and it's 1,001 cultivars) do well in climates
warmer than zone 8 (where I am) -- and they often struggle here.
The fact that it is 3 feet tall and has one leaf at the end of
your long, hot summer is probably indicative that this tree is
very unhappy.

It is unlikely to be any less unhappy in a bonsai pot. Dig it if
you want, but then never let it see full sun. Even morning sun
where you are may be too much. And it's likely to even be too
warm in full shade. In a pot, near-continuous misting would be
mandatory in warm months. And even then . . .