Old 26-10-2003, 12:02 AM
Eric Hunt

Default Bifrenaria harrisoniana Culture

Diana,

This species is considered an intermediate grower here in the SF Bay Area.
All the advice I've received (and applied it, it works!) is to dry the plant
completely from the minute the leaves on the newest growths have hardened
until you see the emergence of the short inflorescences.

I did this at OrchidMania on a large specimen Bifrenaria harrisoniae. It
took three months, but the results were spectacular. The plant was
completely ringed with blooms.

It's also considered a strong feeder and one grower I spoke with throws a
handful of osmocote into the basket to supplement whatever normal feeding
you do during the growing season.

The rest period is what initiates blooming. Without it, the plant just keeps
growing and never blooms.

Good luck!

-Eric in SF