Old 25-10-2003, 10:32 PM
Diana Kulaga

Default Bifrenaria harrisoniana Culture

All,

Anyone know something about this one? My research tells me that it wants a
winter dry rest, but I've also found some conflicting info (imagine that!).
One site calls the plant 'cold growing', while Jay's site refutes that.
Also, Jay calls for shade; another says bright light. One site advises to
withhold water and nutrients right up until the plant is in bud.

I have it in shade now. It's in a mix of CHC, Aliflor, charcoal and sponge
rock. My conditions are warm, for those who might not have known that.
It's a mature plant, doing well, and still growing new bulbs.

Given that it is still putting out growth that will not be complete for at
least a month, I would hesitate to dry it out in mid-November as I will some
other plants. Also, it seems extreme to rest it until buds show up.

What do you think? Any advice gratefully accepted.

Diana

Old 26-10-2003, 12:02 AM
Eric Hunt

Diana,

This species is considered an intermediate grower here in the SF Bay Area.
All the advice I've received (and applied it, it works!) is to dry the plant
completely from the minute the leaves on the newest growths have hardened
until you see the emergence of the short inflorescences.

I did this at OrchidMania on a large specimen Bifrenaria harrisoniae. It
took three months, but the results were spectacular. The plant was
completely ringed with blooms.

It's also considered a strong feeder and one grower I spoke with throws a
handful of osmocote into the basket to supplement whatever normal feeding
you do during the growing season.

The rest period is what initiates blooming. Without it, the plant just keeps
growing and never blooms.

Good luck!

-Eric in SF

Old 26-10-2003, 04:42 PM
K Barrett

From the OrchidSafari Archives Feb 2000:
http://www.geocities.com/brassia.geo/292000.html

K Barrett

ink.net...

Old 26-10-2003, 07:02 PM
Diana Kulaga

Thank you, Eric and Kathy! Great information. Just one more clarification.
Bright light, but not direct, correct? So, if I grow it under the Catts that
should do it? Also, the medium - I grow Catts & Dends in plain old HD river
rock. I take it that the Bif. would be happy in a basket with that. Agree?

Diana

Old 26-10-2003, 08:22 PM
K Barrett

I grow mine hanging high in the greenhouse, so higher than catt light. Mine
is in a basket with lavarock.

Old 27-10-2003, 12:12 AM
Diana Kulaga

Thanks much, Kathy. Obviously I need to make a few changes; glad I asked
now instead of carping over a bloomless spring.

Diana

Old 27-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Jeff

I grow it wet wet wet year round and temps with my catts also I grow
it in more of Phal light ///
not sure if that helps but thats how I do it and it grows and flowers
just fine
JEff

Old 27-10-2003, 10:12 PM
Diana Kulaga

Aarrgh!

Yes, everything helps, Jeff! Where do you grow/ That would help me assess
the different opinons!

Diana

wrote:

[...]

Bifrenaria tyrianthina x2 tenman Orchid Photos 0 30-04-2008 02:48 AM
Bifrenaria harrisoniae alba tenman Orchid Photos 0 18-04-2008 04:49 PM
bifrenaria harrisoniae Keha11 Orchids 4 14-11-2003 03:22 PM
Another harrisoniana - Cattleya Diana Kulaga Orchids 0 25-10-2003 10:42 PM
C. harrisoniana Question Diana Kulaga Orchids 11 18-06-2003 08:44 PM