Old 26-10-2003, 01:02 AM
Steveo

Default end of season lawn question

"The Commish" wrote:
Thanks Steveo! I thought that cutting it shorter would help in the
spring, but I wasn't sure. And it was someone in this newsgroup that
suggested some time ago that I fertilize once in very early fall, and
then again in very late fall...

was 'diespammer' suggesting that I never use fertilizer?

He's not even sure what he is suggesting.
Good luck.

"Steveo" wrote in message
"The Commish" wrote:
Hello. I live in Ottawa Canada, my grass being a
fescue/bluegrass/rye mix. Around labour day, I fertilized using a
fall lawn care product with weed control, as I was still having some
weed problems (this seemed to work, by the way). I aerated around
the 21st of September, and the lawn actually has looked best in the
last month or so. I had intended to put down one more application of
fertilizer (wintercare) in late October (perhaps next weekend)
without weed control to prepare the lawn for the winter and next
spring. Since its getting down to the wire now, and the grass
probably only needs one more cutting, my question is this: Is using
the wintercare still a good idea at this point? (Temperatures here
are unusually low for this time of year, we are already hovering just
above 0c) Also, when I do cut the grass that one last time, how
short should I cut it, and should I bag it or mulch?

Thanks SO much...

Jimmy

I'd go ahead with your winter care food now. This will ensure your
turf has readily available nutrient in the spring, as well as promoting
good root depth. It also allows you to use less nitrogen in the spring,
so you'll have less surge growth, and disease potential then.

As far as cutting, try to get it as short as possible before the
snow covers it up. This will help prevent snow mold next spring
by preventing long blades from laying over and compacting under
the snow. I start lowering the blade now (still cutting in Ohio),
and end up with it at about an inch on my final cutting.