Old 26-10-2003, 03:12 PM
Peter H

Default end of season lawn question

"The Commish" wrote in message
. rogers.com...
Hello. I live in Ottawa Canada, my grass being a fescue/bluegrass/rye

mix.
Around labour day, I fertilized using a fall lawn care product with weed
control, as I was still having some weed problems (this seemed to work, by
the way). I aerated around the 21st of September, and the lawn actually

has
looked best in the last month or so. I had intended to put down one more
application of fertilizer (wintercare) in late October (perhaps next
weekend) without weed control to prepare the lawn for the winter and next
spring. Since its getting down to the wire now, and the grass probably

only
needs one more
cutting, my question is this: Is using the wintercare still a good idea

at
this point? (Temperatures here are unusually low for this time of year,

we
are already hovering just above 0c) Also, when I do cut the grass that

one
last time, how short should I cut it, and should I bag it or mulch?

Thanks SO much...

Jimmy

Stevo is right and diespammer hasn't a clue Jimmy. After 12 years in the
business and a few turf management courses behind me I know what I'm talking
about.

There is one caution I'd throw your way though. This late fall fertilization
is not without some risks. The U of Guelph recommends it, but I have seen
problems on occasion. When the conditions are right that late fert can
stimulate the grass to grow during the winter, underneath the snow, which
can lead to disease of the turf. I cut the ferts off at the end of September
and then I don't have to worry about it. One thing is certain though, if you
do get the late fert down and don't have a problem w/ it you'll have the
first green lawn on the street in the springtime.

Peter H