Old 27-10-2003, 01:32 AM
Pam Rudd

Default Start plants from seeds in Spring/growth light etc, info please.

When last we left our heros, on Sun, 26 Oct 2003 23:28:00 GMT,
"Joe" scribbled:

I have tried to start plants from seeds in the past, but always failed. I
would like to have a setup in my basement for starting plants. I really
don't know how to go about it.

First, the seeds need to be warm. How warm is your basement?
And yes, they do need light, I use fluorescent shop lights with
some aluminum foil hanging from the edges to reflect more light
back on the seedlings. A little tip: gently shake your seedlings
once or twice a day, or else put a fan on them. It makes the
seedling release a plant hormone, and I can't remember which one
right now, but the hormone makes the plant grow thicker and
sturdier.

When to start depends on your location. Most books recommend
that you start seeds 6 weeks before your last frost date.

Also, what about using basement window
wells for cold frames? Thank you all very much for your opinions.

We don't have basements here in SC, the water table is too high.
You'll have to ask someone else about that.

Pam

"ElissaAnn"