Old 27-10-2003, 01:02 PM

Default Start plants from seeds in Spring/growth light etc, info please.

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 23:28:00 GMT, "Joe"
wrote:

I have tried to start plants from seeds in the past, but always failed. I
would like to have a setup in my basement for starting plants. I really
don't know how to go about it. What kind of lights do I need and where can I
buy them? What about a fluorescent shop light that hangs over a shelf where
the starter containers sit? Is there such a thing as growth florescent light
tubes for starting plants? I would also like to know when to start plants
from seed such as tomatoes, cabbage and broccoli etc... I can't find any
books on this for a beginner to use. Also, what about using basement window
wells for cold frames? Thank you all very much for your opinions.

I have used shop lights with ordinary (cheap) fluorescent
bulbs with great success for many years. You want to use
bulbs that say they are '40 watt'.

There are special 'plant lights' - the bulbs are extremely
costly so I've never tried them.

Our present setup is like this: we have two sets of
shelves. Three shelves in each set. From the top two
shelves, shoplights are hanging on chains. This way I can
adjust the height - you need to keep the bulbs very close to
the growing plants.

There's a very good, helpful book about starting seeds.
Here's the info on it (from Amazon). You could probably
either get it at your public library or request them to get
it for you on Inter-library loan (or buy a used copy
cheaply).

----------------------
The New Seed Starter's Handbook
by Nancy Bubel

Paperback: 385 pages ; Dimensions (in inches): 1.14 x 9.11 x
6.47
Publisher: Rodale Press; (April 1988)
ISBN: 0878577521

Lots of more general gardening books have sections on
starting seeds too.

Pat
--
To email me, remove the spam trap and type my first
name in its place.

CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States: http://www.stopthehunger.com/
International: http://www.thehungersite.com/