Old 28-10-2003, 12:22 AM
SugarChile

Default do plants need to sleep?

I know that when starting seedlings indoors, it is recommended that they get
a certain amount of dark hours. I don't have the science to back it up,
surely someone out there has a reference?

On the other hand, I have some houseplants that live under a 24/7 light, and
they have been thriving for years. They are sanseverias, though, and do
fine under all types of conditions.

In your situation, I would set your lights on a timer if at all possible.
If not possible, consider it an experiment and report back on how they do.
They are also tough plants, and might be perfectly ok that way for a few
months.

Cheers,
Sue

--

Zone 6, South-central PA

I know they don't sleep (duh) I was just wondering if part of the
photosynthesis process was supposed to take place in the dark..

Hi, I have a few water hyacinths that I'm keeping inside for the
winter, is it ok to leave the lights on 24/7?