Old 28-10-2003, 11:12 AM
Tom Randy

Default Easy bulb question

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 00:18:41 -0500, Michael Meric wrote:

I am reviewing the bulb faq which Kay Lancaster posted. But before I
confuse myself, I have a very elementary bulb question:

When I buy bulbs in a normal commercial establishment, they appear to be
labeled as ready to plant (The packaging says nothing of forcing or
waiting.). If I put them outside in the ground now (NYC) will they grow
now?

Only the roots will grow until the ground freezes.

I planned to have them grow in the spring and thought they needed
the cold to be ready for the spring. Is the cold needed for all bulbs,

Yes, for the ones meant to be planted outside.

but forcing (in the cold) only for those you wish to grow out of season?

Yes.

What if it's still moderate temps for a few more weeks? Will the bulbs I
put outside grow now instead of in the spring?

No, don't swaet it.

Would they grow now if I
grew them in doors?

No they need a cold spell. Do a google search on forcing bulbs.

Told you it was elementary, but I really would like to get it straight
once (or twice) and for all.

Thanks,

Michael