Old 28-10-2003, 05:32 AM
Michael Meric

Default Easy bulb question

I am reviewing the bulb faq which Kay Lancaster posted. But before I
confuse myself, I have a very elementary bulb question:

When I buy bulbs in a normal commercial establishment, they appear to be
labeled as ready to plant (The packaging says nothing of forcing or
waiting.). If I put them outside in the ground now (NYC) will they grow
now? I planned to have them grow in the spring and thought they needed the
cold to be ready for the spring. Is the cold needed for all bulbs, but
forcing (in the cold) only for those you wish to grow out of season?

What if it's still moderate temps for a few more weeks? Will the bulbs I
put outside grow now instead of in the spring? Would they grow now if I
grew them in doors?

Told you it was elementary, but I really would like to get it straight once
(or twice) and for all.

Thanks,

Michael

Old 28-10-2003, 06:32 AM
Sed5555

If I put them outside in the ground now (NYC) will they grow now?

No. They will come up and bloom next spring.

Is the cold needed for all bulbs, but forcing (in the cold) only for those

you wish to grow out of season?

Yes.

What if it's still moderate temps for a few more weeks? Will the bulbs I put

outside grow now instead of in the spring?

No. They need several weeks of cold in order to bloom.

Would they grow now if I grew them in doors?

They need 14 to 20 weeks of cold preparation at 41 to 48 degrees, followed by
two to three weeks indoors to force them to flower. You can purchase
"pre-chilled" bulbs meant for forcing.
sed5555
Old 28-10-2003, 11:12 AM
Tom Randy

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 00:18:41 -0500, Michael Meric wrote:

I am reviewing the bulb faq which Kay Lancaster posted. But before I
confuse myself, I have a very elementary bulb question:

When I buy bulbs in a normal commercial establishment, they appear to be
labeled as ready to plant (The packaging says nothing of forcing or
waiting.). If I put them outside in the ground now (NYC) will they grow
now?

Only the roots will grow until the ground freezes.

I planned to have them grow in the spring and thought they needed
the cold to be ready for the spring. Is the cold needed for all bulbs,

Yes, for the ones meant to be planted outside.

but forcing (in the cold) only for those you wish to grow out of season?

Yes.

What if it's still moderate temps for a few more weeks? Will the bulbs I
put outside grow now instead of in the spring?

No, don't swaet it.

Would they grow now if I
grew them in doors?

No they need a cold spell. Do a google search on forcing bulbs.

Old 28-10-2003, 04:12 PM
Beecrofter

Michael Meric wrote in message ...
I am reviewing the bulb faq which Kay Lancaster posted. But before I
confuse myself, I have a very elementary bulb question:

Just water the bulbs in after planting to settle the soil and
eliminate air pockets and start the growth.