Old 28-10-2003, 11:02 PM
hermine stover

Default Identify Plant - "Crown of Thorns"

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 19:17:31 GMT, Frogleg wrote:

Back it up, Cereoid. If you search on "crown of thorns" groundcover
(or "ground cover") you will find many references with the 2
associated terms. "Groundcover" pretty much means something relatively
low-growing that covers the ground -- i.e., spreads and presents a
reasonable facade of respectably ordered landscape. Grass, ivy,
portulaca, and (oh, the poetry) chamomile. You don't have to enjoy
walking on it with bare feet for have it qualify as groundcover. I
believe when you identified it with the correct name, the first
reference I turned up said "ground cover, zones 10-11". Certainly a
surprise to me, but evidently an not uncommon use.

Well, not all groundcover is meant to be walked on. the succulent ice
plants which line some of California's freeways come immediately to
mind. If "lawns" are your idea of groundcover, there are very few
plants which fit. the "naturalizing" selections of bulbs, sold for a
high price by White Flower Farms, this is also a kind of groundcover,
which one would never mistake for something to be walked upon.
groundcover means different things in different places, but it does
have a larger meaning, and that was my reference when i so classified
Crown of Thorns.
herm