Old 27-10-2003, 02:22 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Default Identify Plant - "Crown of Thorns"

Sorry Frogger but the common name "Crown of Thorns" is not very specific. It
is commonly used for a wide variety of spinescent Madagascar Euphorbia
species, their hybrids and cultivars.

Euphorbia milii var. splendens has red "flowers" but the hybrids and
cultivars come in a wide range of colors. The Thai Poysean hybrids have
large showy flower clusters that resemble those of Hydrangeas

Frogleg wrote in message
On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 06:24:31 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12-"
wrote:

Sockmonkey wrote
Can anybody identify this plant? My brother gave it to me, neither he

or I
know what it is.

I have posted a picture he
http://figbug.dnsalias.org/gallery/Misc/IMG_5789

Euphorbia milii var. splendens

(common name: Crown of Thorns -- sorry Cereoid)

The plant appears to not be getting enough light. Try moving it to a

south
facing window and it should bloom.

Yep. It definitely needs light. It's a pretty easy-care plant. Let dry
out between watering, give it lots of light, and it has very pretty
little blooms ranging through cream, pink, and orange shades. Is vrey
easy to propagate from tip cuttings.

Old 27-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Frogleg

Frogleg wrote

wrote:

[...]

I'm sure you're correct. I *did* apologize for the 'common' name. I
have several of the whatevers/hybrids that, when not totally
neglected, produce cute little flowers(!) in several colors (1 color
per plant/hybrid/cultivar). I note that it (Euphorbia milii var.
splendens) is a groundcover, forsooth, in warm climates. And with
bright red flowers. However, Mr. Monkey's plant looked pretty much
like a 'Crown of Thorns' houseplant in the dark. Not exactly in the
class of "creeping Charlie" or "pigweed." :-)
Old 27-10-2003, 08:33 PM
Tina Gibson

Cereoid - do you have a good website reference for determining
variety/hybrid of 'crown of thorns' I inherited one a while ago and am not
sure of the variety. Although it does have the everbooming reddish
lowers - the stems on it are quite small compared to others I have seen.
Tina
"Frogleg" wrote in message
On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 14:13:42 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12-"

Frogleg wrote

Old 27-10-2003, 11:02 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

In no way could any of the "Crown of Thorns" Euphorbias be considered
anything remotely resembling a ground cover. All are spiny shrubs with
upright branches. None grow prostrate on the ground.

Frogleg wrote in message
On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 14:13:42 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12-"

Frogleg wrote

Old 27-10-2003, 11:12 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

I could refer you to the Crown of Thorns Yahoo group.
You will find there links to other websites and nurseries that list the
various cultivars.

You could even post a picture in the photo album to be identified.

Old 28-10-2003, 12:32 AM
hermine stover

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 22:56:30 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12-"
wrote:

In no way could any of the "Crown of Thorns" Euphorbias be considered
anything remotely resembling a ground cover. All are spiny shrubs with
upright branches. None grow prostrate on the ground.

I would not say that. In california where this is used as an outdoor
planting, the plants may be either prostrate, as they flop over with
some size, and form a tangle which certainly covers the ground, in
that the ground IS COVERED, tho not in the sense that a grass covers
it; also there are some very tiny bushy forms which if planted close
together, would certainly be groundcovers.

hermine
Old 28-10-2003, 06:02 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

Is a thorny thicket the same as a ground cover? Afraid not.

A spiny shrub that flops over is not a groundcover.

Hermine is tripping again.

Old 28-10-2003, 06:42 AM
hermine stover

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 05:57:37 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12-"
wrote:

Is a thorny thicket the same as a ground cover? Afraid not.

A spiny shrub that flops over is not a groundcover.

Hermine is tripping again.

in terms of what the plant does garden-wise, certain Crow-Of-Thorns,
under rather ideal conditions, will cover the ground very thickly.
When i first moved to California, I just happened to live a short
distance from Abbey Gardens, and they did a nice planting of
Crown-of-Thorns. at first they were neat and bushy, but in short order
they grew together to form quite a thicket. they literally covered the
ground. Now, if you are going to be stuffy and insist that their is an
official list of "ground covers"----and many people who do not think
out of the box, well, they do think this way, they can say it is not
so. NEVERTHELESS, anyone who has seen rampant growth of prostrate and
entangled Crown Of Thorns, would have to say, if asked, is the ground
covered with this plant? well, they would have to say YES.

unlike yoursef, i actually can trip the light fantastic, i assume that
is the trip to which you refer, Manteca.

hermine

Old 28-10-2003, 12:32 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Pure gibberish it is you speak, Herminerrhoid. You have neglected to take
your meds again.

Groundcovers cover the ground and are typically something that can be walked
on.

An impenetrable hedge thicket of spiny shrubs cannot in any way be
considered anything even remotely resembling a groundcover. Except maybe it
would be by your bizarre Addams family standards.

Its about time for you to go back into your box.
Its still too early in the week for your perverse trick or treat pranks.

Old 28-10-2003, 06:12 PM
hermine stover

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 12:23:15 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12-"
wrote:

Pure gibberish it is you speak, Herminerrhoid. You have neglected to take
your meds again.

Groundcovers cover the ground and are typically something that can be walked
on.

So by your definition, Steve, you would be considered a form of
groundcover.

herm
Old 28-10-2003, 07:22 PM
Frogleg

wrote:

Groundcovers cover the ground and are typically something that can be walked
on.

Back it up, Cereoid. If you search on "crown of thorns" groundcover
(or "ground cover") you will find many references with the 2
associated terms. "Groundcover" pretty much means something relatively
low-growing that covers the ground -- i.e., spreads and presents a
reasonable facade of respectably ordered landscape. Grass, ivy,
portulaca, and (oh, the poetry) chamomile. You don't have to enjoy
walking on it with bare feet for have it qualify as groundcover. I
believe when you identified it with the correct name, the first
reference I turned up said "ground cover, zones 10-11". Certainly a
surprise to me, but evidently an not uncommon use.
Old 28-10-2003, 11:02 PM
hermine stover

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 19:17:31 GMT, Frogleg wrote:

Back it up, Cereoid. If you search on "crown of thorns" groundcover
(or "ground cover") you will find many references with the 2
associated terms. "Groundcover" pretty much means something relatively
low-growing that covers the ground -- i.e., spreads and presents a
reasonable facade of respectably ordered landscape. Grass, ivy,
portulaca, and (oh, the poetry) chamomile. You don't have to enjoy
walking on it with bare feet for have it qualify as groundcover. I
believe when you identified it with the correct name, the first
reference I turned up said "ground cover, zones 10-11". Certainly a
surprise to me, but evidently an not uncommon use.

Well, not all groundcover is meant to be walked on. the succulent ice
plants which line some of California's freeways come immediately to
mind. If "lawns" are your idea of groundcover, there are very few
plants which fit. the "naturalizing" selections of bulbs, sold for a
high price by White Flower Farms, this is also a kind of groundcover,
which one would never mistake for something to be walked upon.
groundcover means different things in different places, but it does
have a larger meaning, and that was my reference when i so classified
Crown of Thorns.
herm
Old 29-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Yes, a groundcover can be a spreading plant that covers the ground that may
be too fleshy to walk on with bare feet but still they are plants that
spread horizontally and are not tall shrubs.

Calling a thicket of spiny shrubs is really distorting the meaning of
groundcover to the absurd no matter how anyone tries to justify it. A more
appropriate term for their use would be hedge or living fence. Most popular
horticultural references are flawed anyway and typically screw up out of
ignorance when it comes to succulent and xerophytic plants and their uses.

None of the spinescent "Crown of Thorns" are horizontal growers. I should
know, I have compiled a complete listing of all the species in the group
that is Euphorbia subgenus Lacanthis.

wrote:

Groundcovers cover the ground and are typically something that can be

walked
on.

Back it up, Cereoid. If you search on "crown of thorns" groundcover
(or "ground cover") you will find many references with the 2
associated terms. "Groundcover" pretty much means something relatively
low-growing that covers the ground -- i.e., spreads and presents a
reasonable facade of respectably ordered landscape. Grass, ivy,
portulaca, and (oh, the poetry) chamomile. You don't have to enjoy
walking on it with bare feet for have it qualify as groundcover. I
believe when you identified it with the correct name, the first
reference I turned up said "ground cover, zones 10-11". Certainly a
surprise to me, but evidently an not uncommon use.

[IMG] code is On

Crown of Thorns Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 0 25-03-2010 02:01 AM
Crown of Thorns Flower-3536 (Euphorbia milii) Marutchi[_3_] Garden Photos 0 09-03-2008 11:33 AM
Crown of Thorns Sharon Gardening 14 19-02-2006 04:56 AM
crown of thorns hiya_cynth Plant Biology 1 09-08-2004 12:41 AM
crown of thorns hiya_cynth Plant Biology 0 07-08-2004 06:56 PM