Old 29-10-2003, 01:42 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Spirit of Bonsai Design by Chye Tan

G'day all...

Not a mini review, but from Amazon:

Spirit of Bonsai Design by Chye Tan

Synopsis
Written from a Zen perspective, this guide shows how an

understanding of Zen
aesthetics and its profound influence on bonsai design can

improve your skills
at shaping, displaying and appreciating bonsai. For example,

most bonsai
feature a triangular shape because it symbolizes the

relationship between
life-giving force, the artist and the work created. Similarly,

bonsai trees are
planted off-centre because they represent heaven and earth. The

central point
in the pot is where heaven and earth meet and nothing is

allowed to occupy this
space. Aimed at both novice and more experienced bonsai

enthusiasts, the book
explains the key stages of creating bonsai, from first

inspirations in nature
and choosing your tree to appropriate shaping techniques and

practicalities
such as root trimming and watering. The book features

photographs and annotated
illustrations of each major style and a gallery of bonsai

masterpieces taken
from the collections of some of the world's most famous masters

of the art.
#######

Thanks, Pat . . .

Reading that (especially the part after "Aimed at both novice and
.. . ."), it sounds like the same old, same old -- with a Zennish
gimmick. None of my local stores have it in stock, yet. I think
I'd have to see it in the flesh before I plunked cash for it.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - VEGETARIAN:
An Indian word meaning "lousy hunter." (Borrowed from a sig by
fellow listowner, Scott Peterson)

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++