Old 29-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Advise on Fedge ?

In article ,
Curiosity wrote:
On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 18:51:35 -0000, "Bevan Price"
wrote:

A very good point, however a wire mesh fence separating front garden
from back will look pretty horrible before the climbers can get
established.

Plant annuals for the first years, not excluding runner beans. Not
a big problem.

On the matter of wood rotting, I use tanalised (CCA) timber, and it
lasts. This is being banned, but I believe that is more hysteria
than anything else. I don't know what the replacement is.

As far as plants are concerned, you can use pretty well any climber
that forms a thick tangle. Many clematis and honeysuckle, some
vines (but prune back hard the first few winters), Holboellia
and so on.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.