Old 30-10-2003, 03:02 AM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Spirit of Bonsai Design by Chye Tan

Greetings:

I am sorry to chime in, but I would be very interested
to find out where Mr. Chye Tan gained his experience
with Zen Buddhism.

Chime away, Peter. I was wondering the same thing you obviously
are. I have _never_ read anything reliable that tells me that
Zen and Bonsai have any direct connection -- but _I_ am not even
close to being an expert, so was reluctant to do any chiming
myself.

Of course, you can bring Zen into anything you do, I suppose --
even motorcycle maintenance. ;-)

Anyway, when I finally see the book, I'll at least glance at it
to see how he ties bonsai and Zen together. This fellow's name
_sounds_ Chinese; Zen Buddhism, of course, was borrowed from
China, but matured in Japan. I suppose he could be espousing an
early Chinese tie in.

IMHO, bonsai and Taoism may have a closer connection, back during
the early Chinese roots of artistic trees in pots. But that,
too, is tenuous. ;-)

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++