Old 30-10-2003, 11:22 PM
Hal

Default Feathered Fish Snatchers

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 22:54:32 +1100, "Ken Collis"
wrote:

We're now very reluctant to purchase any replacement koi until we can find a
way to keep them. We would also like to take the net off the pond (for what
its worth) to allow the backyard birds in for a drink/bath during what looks
to be a long hot summer on the way.

Birds deposit fish parasites in their waste and I try to keep all
birds away from my fish pond. I have a fountain on the other side of
the house for bird bathing and such.

Bird predators are more a problem when the site is bird friendly.
Larger birds like the heron want a clear landing space. I have so
much junk around the pond and in the way I haven't seen a heron in
several years although they cleaned me out the first year of ponding.
One fellow in GB stretched wires on a 6' grid over his pond area and
claimed that stopped his heron problem because the bird has such a
large wing span he couldn't light without his wings touching the
wires.

Regards,

Hal