Old 31-10-2003, 01:42 PM
Martin Brown

Default Wintering an Olive Tree

In message , Sacha
writes

I do not have a greenhouse or conservatory and would like to know
where indoors would be the best place to keep our young olive tree
during the winter/cold weather.

Somewhere with light that isn't damp but is just above freezing and not too
hot. Don't water it unless it's dry and when you do water it, make sure all
the water drains away. Consider its origins is the best method.
As I so often do when unusual plants are involved, I have to ask you if you
asked for, or were offered, instructions when you bought this tree? They can
and do survive in UK but I don't think anyone would call them 'easy'.

They are much tougher than people think though. I experimented leaving
one out for the entire of last winter sheltered only from the rain. I
don't think they need to be kept strictly frost free. Mine live in the
outside porch.

A small tree left outside sheltered from the worst of the wet and cold
lost all its leaves, suffered some die back and certainly looked stone
dead until about mid-August. I was a bit surprised when it suddenly
sprung back to life.

I wouldn't risk a nice specimen tree that way.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown