Old 30-10-2003, 08:12 PM
Paul the D

Default Wintering an Olive Tree

I do not have a greenhouse or conservatory and would like to know
where indoors would be the best place to keep our young olive tree
during the winter/cold weather.

Many thanks

Paul the D
'You're a big man, but you're out of shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself.'
Old 30-10-2003, 08:43 PM
Sacha

I do not have a greenhouse or conservatory and would like to know
where indoors would be the best place to keep our young olive tree
during the winter/cold weather.

Somewhere with light that isn't damp but is just above freezing and not too
hot. Don't water it unless it's dry and when you do water it, make sure all
the water drains away. Consider its origins is the best method.
As I so often do when unusual plants are involved, I have to ask you if you
asked for, or were offered, instructions when you bought this tree? They can
and do survive in UK but I don't think anyone would call them 'easy'.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 30-10-2003, 09:12 PM
Paul the D

Would a light bathroom be suitable?

Old 30-10-2003, 11:32 PM
David Hill

You don't say where in UK you are,
You will find Olives growing quite close to Granada in Spain and they have
quite cold winters there (Av Jan Temp 6C)
Some say you don't get good oil from Olives till they have been frosted.
You get different directions for growing olives from different places. as in
the 2 following extracts..........
Soil:

Olives generally prefer a free draining soil with reasonable moisture
retention, but some cultivars are more tolerant of heavy soils. Local
rainfall patterns tend to simplify or compound problems associated with
difficult soil conditions. Overseas heavier soils are usually associated
with Mediterranean climates which suit the Olive better. This results in the
moisture patterns required for optimum production. These heavy soils also
tend to hold trace elements better than many of New Zealand's lighter soils,
so trace element requirements need to be considered on a site by site basis
in New Zealand. Olives require the full range of soil nutrients but not too
much nitrogen. Careful selection of seaweed fertilizers will address the
trace element requirements as well as the general nutrient needs.

Microclimate:
Every area of the country is often considered to have it's own general set
of growing conditions but within these areas there are localized
microclimates. Even within the average garden there are microclimates that
will suit some plants better than others. When choosing a spot for Olives,
the basic requirement is warm dry summers and cool winters, that are not too
wet. If high rainfall is to be expected, then good drainage becomes more
important. Most of the country experiences enough chill to satisfy Olives,
but late frosts at flowering time can be a problem.
Shelter is important so that trees can establish well and do not damage as
they mature. Some air movement is needed for pollination as well as to
dissipate frost pockets during winter.

Culture
Olive trees have been grown since the Sumerians and were know in Egypt from
the VIIth dynasty (2400 BC). They require a mediteranean climate of long
dry, hot summers and mild winters with a lot of sunlight and temperatures
above 12°C. The ripening of the olives requires strong sunlight. Winter rain
does not both the robust tree which needs at least 200 mm of water. The
olive tree thrives in most soils except those that are humid. Nevertheless
they prefer stony soil where they give the best oil. Of the 5.5 million ha
of olive trees that are cultivated throughout the world, a third can be
found in the Mediteranean bassin, mainly in Italy, Spain, Greece, Turkey and
Syria.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 31-10-2003, 12:02 AM
David Hill

Just found this extra info........

NB. All trees from Santa Cruz Olive Tree Nursery are 'container grown' and
hardened and can be planted in moderate climates (winters that don't go
below 25 deg F) at any time of the year. Very young trees may need
protection from severe frost and animals. Further advice on these situations
is readily available on this site or from Santa Cruz Olive Tree Nursery.
http://www.santacruzolive.com/planti...ge=preparation
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 31-10-2003, 12:02 AM
Paul the D

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 23:46:18 -0000, "David Hill"
wrote:

Just found this extra info........

NB. All trees from Santa Cruz Olive Tree Nursery are 'container grown' and
hardened and can be planted in moderate climates (winters that don't go
below 25 deg F) at any time of the year. Very young trees may need
protection from severe frost and animals. Further advice on these situations
is readily available on this site or from Santa Cruz Olive Tree Nursery.
http://www.santacruzolive.com/planti...ge=preparation

Thank you David.

I am in Worcestershire. The garden is sheltered and south east facing.
We do experience some frost and windy weather in the colder months of
the year.

Old 31-10-2003, 12:12 PM
sw

Paul the D wrote:

I do not have a greenhouse or conservatory and would like to know
where indoors would be the best place to keep our young olive tree
during the winter/cold weather.

FWIW ours has survived outside for about 8 years. It's c. 5' high, in a
half-barrel next to a southish-facing brick wall not far from Cambridge,
so a little sheltered from frosts. If a *very* hard frost is forecast I
wrap the barrel in bubble wrap and wrap old sheets around the tree
itself, but nothing more.

regards
sarah

--
Think of it as evolution in action.
Old 31-10-2003, 01:42 PM
Martin Brown

In message , Sacha
writes

I do not have a greenhouse or conservatory and would like to know
where indoors would be the best place to keep our young olive tree
during the winter/cold weather.

Somewhere with light that isn't damp but is just above freezing and not too
hot. Don't water it unless it's dry and when you do water it, make sure all
the water drains away. Consider its origins is the best method.
As I so often do when unusual plants are involved, I have to ask you if you
asked for, or were offered, instructions when you bought this tree? They can
and do survive in UK but I don't think anyone would call them 'easy'.

They are much tougher than people think though. I experimented leaving
one out for the entire of last winter sheltered only from the rain. I
don't think they need to be kept strictly frost free. Mine live in the
outside porch.

A small tree left outside sheltered from the worst of the wet and cold
lost all its leaves, suffered some die back and certainly looked stone
dead until about mid-August. I was a bit surprised when it suddenly
sprung back to life.

I wouldn't risk a nice specimen tree that way.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown
Old 31-10-2003, 10:22 PM
Jim Paterson

"sw" wrote in message
Paul the D wrote:

I do not have a greenhouse or conservatory and would like to know
where indoors would be the best place to keep our young olive tree

Quite a number outdoors here in my locality (Surrey). One Italian couple I
know get lots of olives from their outdoor unprotected tree.