Old 01-11-2003, 02:22 PM
animaux

Default Ripped out the Nandina domestica

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 01:23:15 -0600, "cat daddy" opined:

Shiva H. Vishnu, what's wrong with the wax leaf and the heavenly bamboo? I
was going to move the volunteer waxies into where some photinias and crepes
have been malingering. My nandina was the only thing living other than the
hackberries when I bought this place.......... {:-/

These plants are both on the do not plant list for our area. They are invasive
exotic introductions and are slowly taking over many native habitats by streams
and in fields. They choke out the native flora, removing the plants which other
native animals need to survive. Hackberry is a native tree. I have one as
well. It's about 50 feet tall and shades the west side of our house.
Unfortunately, it seeds everywhere and immediately send down a rather tough tap
root. I try to pull those immediately in the spring.

It was very difficult to kill the nandina and throw it out, but it's not a good
plant and nurseries and garden centers should discontinue selling it. I
actually saw purple loosestrife at Lowes, yesterday. I had a long discussion
with the manager and she is going to have a discussion with the grower.

Victoria