Old 01-11-2003, 02:42 PM
cat daddy

Default Ripped out the Nandina domestica

"animaux" wrote in message
On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 01:23:15 -0600, "cat daddy"

opined:

Shiva H. Vishnu, what's wrong with the wax leaf and the heavenly bamboo?

was going to move the volunteer waxies into where some photinias and

crepes
have been malingering. My nandina was the only thing living other than

the
hackberries when I bought this place.......... {:-/

These plants are both on the do not plant list for our area. They are

invasive
exotic introductions and are slowly taking over many native habitats by

streams
and in fields. They choke out the native flora, removing the plants which

other
native animals need to survive.

Oh, I understand.... Just two more for my list of misperceptions, just
like the red tips that I assumed were native because they were everywhere.
The waxleaf is invasive. I don't even know where they came from.........
and please, no bad comments on Mimosas or I'll have to stick my fingers in
my ears and hum...

Hackberry is a native tree. I have one as
well. It's about 50 feet tall and shades the west side of our house.
Unfortunately, it seeds everywhere and immediately send down a rather

tough tap
root. I try to pull those immediately in the spring.

Hackberries wrecked my house and allowed me to be able to afford to buy
it. They also stunted the pecans, the redbuds and everything else they
outgrew. I like to appreciate them from a distance...... }:-)

Thanks for your reply, as ever.

It was very difficult to kill the nandina and throw it out, but it's not a

good
plant and nurseries and garden centers should discontinue selling it. I
actually saw purple loosestrife at Lowes, yesterday. I had a long

discussion
with the manager and she is going to have a discussion with the grower.

Victoria