Old 03-02-2003, 05:15 PM
Bob Bauer

Default Maryland roses

Scopata Fuori commented:

As nasty as this winter has been, I plan to wait until the end of the first
week in March to prune,

This is a wise move, you don't want to prune too early. Pruning
stimulates new growth, and pruning too early leads to the plants being
vulnerable to big damage in a late frost.

I need to get out there and dormant spray.

You DO NOT need to use dormant spray in Zones 7 or 6. It is
completely unnecessary!

Artificial dormancy is ONLY needed in areas where the rose does not
stop blooming on its own. Zones 9 10 and 11. Places like South
Florida or Southern California or South Texas or Hawaii.

Just because the rose hasn't lost all of its leaves is NO reason to
defoliate. It just isn't necessary at all. It is a big waste of time
and money. The rose will know what to do with its own leaves..... no
problem. It will keep them if they are good and it will drop them if
they are bad.

Period.

There. I've saved you some time and money..... grin

Bob Bauer
Zone 6 in Salt Lake City
http://www.rose-roses.com