Old 02-11-2003, 04:42 AM
mmarteen

Default How many of you watch Victory Garden?

I watch the Victory Garden now but the original Crockett version was the
best. I think his garden was right outside the WGBH studio. The new show
with Michael Weishan (sp?) is kind of lame. Like someone said, it has an
identity crisis. It is partly to show off pretty gardens, partly how to and
partly a cooking show. I can get all of these things separately in HGTV
shows, in a more useful format.

The one place where HGTV has let me down is with northern gardening. All the
landscape shows seem based in FL, CA. Gardening by the Yard is based in OK.
The only show that used to showcase zone 5 and below was the Canadian show,
The gardener's journal which doesn't seem to be on any longer. The local
gardening shows are a joke.

mm

"Dan" wrote in message
y.com...
Hello;

I watch Victory Garden...sometimes. It is definitely not the same as
it was, that is for sure. I used to gripe about all the foreign
botanical gardens that Adrian Bloome used to go to, also about "Chef
Marion" galivanting around the world in search of ways to destroy
another chef's dishes.

Even that Victory garden wasn't as good as the old one with Jim
Wilson, or who ever he was. Now THAT was a great show. It was down to
earth, made here in the good ol'USofA and was about growing
vegetables, with only a hint of flower gardens.

I used to watch that show every week. Then when Roger Swain took over
the reins, I watched most every week. Like I mentioned before,
though, I couldn't handle much more of the world travels and Marion's
grossed out cooking.

Now that the New-Improved Victory Garden is only about flowers and
such, I don't watch it that often. If I am in the house and it
happens to be on, I may watch some or all of it. I will not, however,
set aside the time to be sure that I see it every week.

As to your last statement about reruns, I haven't seen any of the
older versions of VG. I don't think that PBS shows reruns much after
the original season.

Dan Harriman
Orange, Texas

Have a great day today and a better one tomorrow! (Gilda Radnor)

ospam (Rose) wrote in
:

Besides just being curious I'd like to know if you do watch it
what do you think of the new cast members? I miss the old ones -
especially Marian in the kitchen. But I'm sure they are still
re-running the older episodes.