Old 02-11-2003, 06:02 AM
B & J

Default How many of you watch Victory Garden?

"LFR" wrote in message
Nothing beats the original...when it was called "Crockett's Victory

Garden".
When Jim Crockett passed away, they brought in Jim Wilson and changed the
name to "Victory Garden".

A book to get your hands on would be the original companion book by Jim
Crockett.

snip
"Rose"

I bought my first home in northern MN in the late 1960's and did little
gardening beyond turning a weed patch yard into some semblance of order,
mostly by keeping the weeds mowed and allowing the grass to grow because I
was working on an advanced degree. When I finished the degree in the early
1970s's, I started gardening, using the methods I learned on a farm garden
where one planted seeds, watered, kept the weeds pulled, and picked and used
what grew.

When PBS started Victory Garden in 1975, I thought I had died and gone to
heaven. Jim Crockett was a guru for the novice gardener, particularly if one
lived in the northern tier of states. His shows were devoted to practical
suggestions and solutions, and I still use a number of his methods. (I
purchased and still treaure his book, "Crockett's Victory Garden," my first
gardening book.) I still remember with deep sadness his bout, decline, and
death from cancer in the late 1970's.

The advent of Bob Thompson changed the focus of the show from the north to
general gardening in the U.S., along with much landscaping and globe
trotting focus. He was okay.

Roger Swain came back to gardening roots far more than Thompson, and I
enjoyed his shows. He offered many practical suggestions, but most of his
suggestions required money and strong backs.

Michael Weishan IMO has totally desserted the ordinary gardener. His
material is so skewed toward the upscale and monied that he's a waste of
time. To add insult to injury he has replaced M.Morash in the cooking
segment, which is a waste of time for anyone interested in "just" gardening.
The only time I see it is when it happens to be on after another PBS
program, and I'm too lazy to change the channel.

John