Old 02-11-2003, 12:22 PM
Willow

Default Daylily growers?

Greetings Bob and all, Hemerocallis has become my favorite but I didn't
start out that way. I have probably about 600 daylilies with this years
purchases. I sell them locally and on the Internet but only in the US. My
gardens are on 6 acres of property. The display gardens are mixed perennials
with some herbs, a few roses and woody plants. My garden style is similar
to English Cottage style with an edging of daylilies. I like wild and
naturalized mixed borders with an emphasis on nature and wildlife habitat.
The only formal gardening bone in my body is a desire to one day plant a
knot garden.

I am located in the north-eastern third of the US, near Lake Erie. We have
adequate precipitation most years. July and August is sometimes very hot
and dry. I am located just across the lake from the south border of
Ontario, Canada. Temperatures here range from 80 F. [26 C] up to 100 F. [37
C] during summer and down to -10 F [-23 C] in the winter months. Though I
have seen -19 F [-28 C] in winter it is not the norm. I can't over winter
tender perennials. This year I am trying to over winter an "Arp" Rosemary
in a protected area of the garden. However I don't give it much hope of
surviving if our winter months are a cold as last year.

Thanks for the warning. I don't want to start any flame wars. Anything else
I should not mention? :-))

--
Willow

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Welcome.
I would think most UK gardeners have at least one Day Lily in their

gardens,
we have a few, but from what I've read most of the large modern hybrids

come
from your side of the pond.

So are Hemerocallis your favourite plants? Roughly where are you in the US
so we have some idea of your climate? (see below)

nip