Old 31-10-2003, 10:02 PM
Willow

Default Daylily growers?

Hi
I am in the USA. I just subscribed to this newsgroup. Any daylily growers
here?

--
Willow
Daylily Grower

Old 01-11-2003, 08:02 AM
Robert

: Hi
: I am in the USA. I just subscribed to this newsgroup. Any daylily
: growers here?

I have a few but I'm no expert on them

Old 01-11-2003, 08:15 AM
The Hoopeses

Willow wrote:

Hi
I am in the USA. I just subscribed to this newsgroup. Any daylily growers
here?

Are you in the daylily group out of Columbus? I have some back there,
but I couldn't tell you the names of the varieties.

-
Al

Old 01-11-2003, 01:22 PM
Bob Hobden

"Willow" wrote in message
I am in the USA. I just subscribed to this newsgroup. Any daylily growers
here?

Welcome.
I would think most UK gardeners have at least one Day Lily in their gardens,
we have a few, but from what I've read most of the large modern hybrids come
from your side of the pond.

So are Hemerocallis your favourite plants? Roughly where are you in the US
so we have some idea of your climate? (see below)

A word of warning, just don't mention US Zones on this Ng, they are
irrelevant to the UK maritime climate, few UK gardeners will know what you
are on about, and we don't need another war on this ng just yet. :-)

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.

Old 02-11-2003, 12:22 PM
Willow

Greetings Bob and all, Hemerocallis has become my favorite but I didn't
start out that way. I have probably about 600 daylilies with this years
purchases. I sell them locally and on the Internet but only in the US. My
gardens are on 6 acres of property. The display gardens are mixed perennials
with some herbs, a few roses and woody plants. My garden style is similar
to English Cottage style with an edging of daylilies. I like wild and
naturalized mixed borders with an emphasis on nature and wildlife habitat.
The only formal gardening bone in my body is a desire to one day plant a
knot garden.

I am located in the north-eastern third of the US, near Lake Erie. We have
adequate precipitation most years. July and August is sometimes very hot
and dry. I am located just across the lake from the south border of
Ontario, Canada. Temperatures here range from 80 F. [26 C] up to 100 F. [37
C] during summer and down to -10 F [-23 C] in the winter months. Though I
have seen -19 F [-28 C] in winter it is not the norm. I can't over winter
tender perennials. This year I am trying to over winter an "Arp" Rosemary
in a protected area of the garden. However I don't give it much hope of
surviving if our winter months are a cold as last year.

Thanks for the warning. I don't want to start any flame wars. Anything else
I should not mention? :-))

--
Willow

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Welcome.
I would think most UK gardeners have at least one Day Lily in their

gardens,
we have a few, but from what I've read most of the large modern hybrids

come
from your side of the pond.

So are Hemerocallis your favourite plants? Roughly where are you in the US
so we have some idea of your climate? (see below)

nip

Old 02-11-2003, 12:22 PM
Willow

Hello Al, No, I am not close to Columbus. I am up north of there, near Lake
Erie. The Columbus area has some very impressive daylily hybridizers.
They are in Region 2 of the American Hemerocallis Society so I see them from
time to time.

--
Willow
USA

Old 02-11-2003, 12:32 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Willow wrote:

I am located in the north-eastern third of the US, near Lake Erie. We have
adequate precipitation most years. July and August is sometimes very hot
and dry. I am located just across the lake from the south border of
Ontario, Canada. Temperatures here range from 80 F. [26 C] up to 100 F. [37
C] during summer and down to -10 F [-23 C] in the winter months. Though I
have seen -19 F [-28 C] in winter it is not the norm. I can't over winter
tender perennials. This year I am trying to over winter an "Arp" Rosemary
in a protected area of the garden. However I don't give it much hope of
surviving if our winter months are a cold as last year.

Nor would I. Its normal reason for dropping dead in the winter in the
UK is waterlogging (which it hates), but it is not one of the hardiest
of the Mediterranean plants. It is reasonably happy with -15 Celcius,
though we haven't had that here (Cambridge) in a decade now (we used to
get it every few years).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-11-2003, 01:02 PM
Willow

Arp is a variety of rosemary that is said to be cold hardy. But it is
marginal for my climate. Here is the story on it.
http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/rosoffarp.htm

--
Willow
USA
snip

Old 02-11-2003, 02:32 PM
JennyC

"Willow" wrote in message
[...]

Racoons in the Corn :~))

Welcome to URG Willow
Jenny

Old 02-11-2003, 04:12 PM
Willow

Well, not exactly, Jenny, but I put out corn in a feeder locted on the side
of a tree for the squirrels. Have had racoons on my deck and in my yard but
I try to not encourage them. My wildlife emphasis leans toward leaving some
dead trees for woodpeckers, some brush cover for rabbits, birds and other
critters. I plant shrubs and trees with berries to encourage the bird
population, put out blue birdhouses in borders and leave volunteer plants
that are food for butterflies, bees, and such. My daylilies have taken over
the veggie garden area so I still go to the grocery store for my corn. :-))
Thanks for the welcome.
--
Willow
USA

"JennyC" wrote in message

snip

Racoons in the Corn :~))

Welcome to URG Willow
Jenny

Old 02-11-2003, 05:23 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Willow" contains these words:

(snip)
I am located in the north-eastern third of the US, near Lake Erie. We have
adequate precipitation most years. July and August is sometimes very hot
and dry. I am located just across the lake from the south border of
Ontario, Canada. Temperatures here range from 80 F. [26 C] up to 100 F. [37
C] during summer and down to -10 F [-23 C] in the winter months. Though I
have seen -19 F [-28 C] in winter it is not the norm. I can't over winter
tender perennials.

Thanks for that, it's interesting to know just what you're gardening
in. I didn't know daylilies could survive that degree of cold!

I've recently planted one called,iirc, Snowy Eyes..haven't seen it in
flower yet but it's supposed to be white with a purple eye, do you know
it? Any tips? I'd also like some really deep purple ones, and some dark
(almost blackish) red ones, if you could recommend some names please.
Our garden is near the sea (mild damp climate) so I need varieties that
can stand up to wind and salt.

Janet(Isle of Arran, Scotland)

Old 03-11-2003, 12:13 AM
Willow

Janet

Great to hear you are growing some daylilies. I had not seen SNOWY EYES but
I looked it up. Here is a picture I found online.
http://www.bloomriver.com/reFrame.as...=2&plantID=850

My information on SNOWY EYES says that the hybridizer is E.C.Brown. He is
well respected for his daylilies. It has a 3.5 inch flower and is about 24
inches tall. Sorry I don't know metric measurement.

Daylilies are very hardy so my growing zone is good for daylilies. Since
our growing season is shorter than a warmer climate I don't get to enjoy the
reblooming of some cultivars. This year some sent up a second flush of
scapes but the bloom did not open right. Our cold nights in fall are not
good for daylily bloom. However, we are now experiencing a warm spell which
is helping the last blooms on a few to open.

If you like very deep purple daylilies I would recommend a any purple by the
hybridizer, Steve Moldovan. He has some of the best dark purple daylilies I
have grown. STRUTTERS BALL or LORD OF RINGS are excellent dark purple. LORD
OF RINGS has a thin white edge on the petals. Very nice. There are so
many. If I had a list of what is available to you I could show you the ones
I know to be great daylilies. A black red that I like from another
hybridizer is SERENA DARK HORSE. It is a tall, deep velvet red. The
blackest daylily that I have is NIGHT WINGS. It is very nice. On some very
hot sunny days it looks totally black. Or try to find the daylily MIDNIGHT
MAGIC, by John Kennebrew. Very nice dark red daylily.

I don't have any experience with growing daylilies near salt water. To
stand up to wind you might want to look for the type of daylily that is a
Tetraploid. The scapes of tetraploid daylilies are usually stronger than
the diploid variety. [Tetraploid and Diploid are the terms given for the
number of chromosomes in the structure of the daylily.] When you buy a
daylily the seller should be able to tell you if it is a "dip" or "tet". Or
it will be listed on the plant label. Also a flower that has thicker
substance should withstand winds better. By substance I mean the thickness
of the flesh of the petals and sepals of the flower.

I don't know what tips you mean. Daylilies are so easy to grow that good
garden practices is all one needs to be successful grower of daylilies. They
don't need special fertilizers or soils. They like sun and moisture but
like the soil to be drained after a rain or watering. This year we had a
lot of rain. I have never seen such huge bloom on my daylilies. One
daylily [PLINKO] is registered to be a 9 inch unusual form bloom. It
measured 12 inches. Most of my daylilies were 1/2 inch to 1 inch larger at
first bloom. So they really did love the extra rains.

Perhaps you would like to see the American Hemerocallis Society web site.
There is wonderful information on daylilies there, and some pictures.
http://www.daylilies.org/

There is a discussion forum that is active with daylily growers who can give
you information. http://forums.tinkersgardens.com/act...pics.asp?FID=0

And a daylily chat room with a lot of fun American daylily growers.
http://daylily.dmans.com/mlong/echat.../lilychat.html

--
Willow
USA

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message

snip

Old 03-11-2003, 04:13 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Willow" contains these words:

If you like very deep purple daylilies I would recommend a any purple by the
hybridizer, Steve Moldovan. He has some of the best dark purple daylilies I
have grown. STRUTTERS BALL or LORD OF RINGS are excellent dark purple. LORD
OF RINGS has a thin white edge on the petals. Very nice. There are so
many. If I had a list of what is available to you I could show you the ones
I know to be great daylilies. A black red that I like from another
hybridizer is SERENA DARK HORSE. It is a tall, deep velvet red. The
blackest daylily that I have is NIGHT WINGS. It is very nice. On some very
hot sunny days it looks totally black. Or try to find the daylily MIDNIGHT
MAGIC, by John Kennebrew. Very nice dark red daylily.

Many thanks (and for the useful hint on tetraploids, and urls). Some
of those names are alluring enough to sell the plants all on their own!
I'll go and have a look for their pics in google/images.

So, urglers..anyone know a good UK daylily supplier who does mailorder ?

Janet
Old 03-11-2003, 11:04 PM
Bob Hobden

"Janet wrote in message

[...]

Take a look at the Hosta and Hemerocallis Society web site...

www.hostahem.org.uk/ and check out their list of suppliers.

Old 04-11-2003, 12:22 PM
Willow

I can't vouch for this daylily seller because I found it searching google.
This seller has a few daylilies that I grow. To find STRUTTERS BALL, select
from the menu, color purple, all sizes.
http://www.ukdaylilies.com/index.asp

My choice's from each of the categories:
Contrasting: PANDORA'S BOX
Gold/Orange: GOLDEN SCROLL
Lavender/Mauve: ORCHID CORSAGE or ALWAYS AFTERNOON
Pink: ANTIQUE ROSE or FAIRY TALE PINK
Purple: TRAHLYTA or STRUTTERS BALL
White/Cream: JOAN SENIOR
Yellow: I don't know any of the yellows that are listed.
Red: CHICAGO APACHE