Old 02-11-2003, 12:32 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Daylily growers?

In article ,
Willow wrote:

I am located in the north-eastern third of the US, near Lake Erie. We have
adequate precipitation most years. July and August is sometimes very hot
and dry. I am located just across the lake from the south border of
Ontario, Canada. Temperatures here range from 80 F. [26 C] up to 100 F. [37
C] during summer and down to -10 F [-23 C] in the winter months. Though I
have seen -19 F [-28 C] in winter it is not the norm. I can't over winter
tender perennials. This year I am trying to over winter an "Arp" Rosemary
in a protected area of the garden. However I don't give it much hope of
surviving if our winter months are a cold as last year.

Nor would I. Its normal reason for dropping dead in the winter in the
UK is waterlogging (which it hates), but it is not one of the hardiest
of the Mediterranean plants. It is reasonably happy with -15 Celcius,
though we haven't had that here (Cambridge) in a decade now (we used to
get it every few years).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.