Old 03-11-2003, 12:13 AM
Willow

Default Daylily growers?

Janet

Great to hear you are growing some daylilies. I had not seen SNOWY EYES but
I looked it up. Here is a picture I found online.
http://www.bloomriver.com/reFrame.as...=2&plantID=850

My information on SNOWY EYES says that the hybridizer is E.C.Brown. He is
well respected for his daylilies. It has a 3.5 inch flower and is about 24
inches tall. Sorry I don't know metric measurement.

Daylilies are very hardy so my growing zone is good for daylilies. Since
our growing season is shorter than a warmer climate I don't get to enjoy the
reblooming of some cultivars. This year some sent up a second flush of
scapes but the bloom did not open right. Our cold nights in fall are not
good for daylily bloom. However, we are now experiencing a warm spell which
is helping the last blooms on a few to open.

If you like very deep purple daylilies I would recommend a any purple by the
hybridizer, Steve Moldovan. He has some of the best dark purple daylilies I
have grown. STRUTTERS BALL or LORD OF RINGS are excellent dark purple. LORD
OF RINGS has a thin white edge on the petals. Very nice. There are so
many. If I had a list of what is available to you I could show you the ones
I know to be great daylilies. A black red that I like from another
hybridizer is SERENA DARK HORSE. It is a tall, deep velvet red. The
blackest daylily that I have is NIGHT WINGS. It is very nice. On some very
hot sunny days it looks totally black. Or try to find the daylily MIDNIGHT
MAGIC, by John Kennebrew. Very nice dark red daylily.

I don't have any experience with growing daylilies near salt water. To
stand up to wind you might want to look for the type of daylily that is a
Tetraploid. The scapes of tetraploid daylilies are usually stronger than
the diploid variety. [Tetraploid and Diploid are the terms given for the
number of chromosomes in the structure of the daylily.] When you buy a
daylily the seller should be able to tell you if it is a "dip" or "tet". Or
it will be listed on the plant label. Also a flower that has thicker
substance should withstand winds better. By substance I mean the thickness
of the flesh of the petals and sepals of the flower.

I don't know what tips you mean. Daylilies are so easy to grow that good
garden practices is all one needs to be successful grower of daylilies. They
don't need special fertilizers or soils. They like sun and moisture but
like the soil to be drained after a rain or watering. This year we had a
lot of rain. I have never seen such huge bloom on my daylilies. One
daylily [PLINKO] is registered to be a 9 inch unusual form bloom. It
measured 12 inches. Most of my daylilies were 1/2 inch to 1 inch larger at
first bloom. So they really did love the extra rains.

Perhaps you would like to see the American Hemerocallis Society web site.
There is wonderful information on daylilies there, and some pictures.
http://www.daylilies.org/

There is a discussion forum that is active with daylily growers who can give
you information. http://forums.tinkersgardens.com/act...pics.asp?FID=0

And a daylily chat room with a lot of fun American daylily growers.
http://daylily.dmans.com/mlong/echat.../lilychat.html

--
Willow
USA

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message

snip
Thanks for that, it's interesting to know just what you're gardening
in. I didn't know daylilies could survive that degree of cold!

I've recently planted one called,iirc, Snowy Eyes..haven't seen it in
flower yet but it's supposed to be white with a purple eye, do you know
it? Any tips? I'd also like some really deep purple ones, and some dark
(almost blackish) red ones, if you could recommend some names please.
Our garden is near the sea (mild damp climate) so I need varieties that
can stand up to wind and salt.

Janet(Isle of Arran, Scotland)