Old 03-11-2003, 07:23 PM
Kay Easton

Default Land of shadow?

In article , Victoria
Clare writes
I've got a largish area of my garden that gets about 6-8 hours sun in the
summer (mornings and afternoons/evenings with a shady time around noon) and
from now till the spring will be covered with a shadow of gloom.

(My garden is on the north side of a hill, and my house faces North,
casting a long shadow over this area)

Is it in 'full sun', 'part shade', or 'shade'? I can't decide!

Not 'full sun' because most things that want that also want the free
draining soil.

In my north facing garden (similar to yours but not on a hill) near the
house I grow ferns, euphorbias, chanomeles, winter jasmine, Rosa mundi,
hydrangea, magnolia stellata, germander speedwell and Veronica Georgia
Blue, hellborus, holly, lily of the valley, skimmia, pernettya

Further away from the house I can grow thing that want a bit more sun,
such as salvia, some of the sun loving hardy geraniums.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: