Old 03-11-2003, 03:12 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Land of shadow?

I've got a largish area of my garden that gets about 6-8 hours sun in the
summer (mornings and afternoons/evenings with a shady time around noon) and
from now till the spring will be covered with a shadow of gloom.

(My garden is on the north side of a hill, and my house faces North,
casting a long shadow over this area)

Is it in 'full sun', 'part shade', or 'shade'? I can't decide!

At the moment there is nothing much in it but lawn, some Schizostylis, a
couple of rather manky roses and a hydrangea. Grass grows OK - perhaps a
little mossy, but not hugely so.

Victoria
Old 03-11-2003, 07:23 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Victoria
Clare writes
I've got a largish area of my garden that gets about 6-8 hours sun in the
summer (mornings and afternoons/evenings with a shady time around noon) and
from now till the spring will be covered with a shadow of gloom.

(My garden is on the north side of a hill, and my house faces North,
casting a long shadow over this area)

Is it in 'full sun', 'part shade', or 'shade'? I can't decide!

Not 'full sun' because most things that want that also want the free
draining soil.

In my north facing garden (similar to yours but not on a hill) near the
house I grow ferns, euphorbias, chanomeles, winter jasmine, Rosa mundi,
hydrangea, magnolia stellata, germander speedwell and Veronica Georgia
Blue, hellborus, holly, lily of the valley, skimmia, pernettya

Further away from the house I can grow thing that want a bit more sun,
such as salvia, some of the sun loving hardy geraniums.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 04-11-2003, 11:42 AM
Victoria Clare

Kay Easton wrote in
:

In article ,
Victoria Clare writes
I've got a largish area of my garden that gets about 6-8 hours sun in
the summer (mornings and afternoons/evenings with a shady time around
noon) and from now till the spring will be covered with a shadow of
gloom.

(My garden is on the north side of a hill, and my house faces North,
casting a long shadow over this area)

Is it in 'full sun', 'part shade', or 'shade'? I can't decide!

Not 'full sun' because most things that want that also want the free
draining soil.

Well, that bit is pretty free-draining, because it's terraced above a dry
stone wall, and the soil is very nearly just gravel. It's a bit dry for
ferns in the summer, except right along the wall where there is less sun.

It rains /fogs a lot here, but the water doesn't tend to hang around in
sogs like it does on clay. It just runs off and down the hill to the river
in a myriad tiny streams.

Veronica is a nice idea, if it can take the sun in the summer.

Victoria
Old 04-11-2003, 01:03 PM
Kay Easton

In article . 6,
Victoria Clare writes
Kay Easton wrote in
:

In article ,
Victoria Clare writes
I've got a largish area of my garden that gets about 6-8 hours sun in
the summer (mornings and afternoons/evenings with a shady time around
noon) and from now till the spring will be covered with a shadow of
gloom.

(My garden is on the north side of a hill, and my house faces North,
casting a long shadow over this area)

Is it in 'full sun', 'part shade', or 'shade'? I can't decide!

Not 'full sun' because most things that want that also want the free
draining soil.

Well, that bit is pretty free-draining, because it's terraced above a dry
stone wall, and the soil is very nearly just gravel. It's a bit dry for
ferns in the summer, except right along the wall where there is less sun.

very different from my soil, then! Mine is permanently moist clay.
Ignore all my recommendations!

What about the spleenworts and wall rue and the various other ferns that
grow on walls and cliffs? They might be worth a try.

Euphorbia myrsinites? Will tolerate a bit of shade if it's reasonably
well draining, but would be best not too close to the house.

It rains /fogs a lot here, but the water doesn't tend to hang around in
sogs like it does on clay. It just runs off and down the hill to the river
in a myriad tiny streams.

Veronica is a nice idea, if it can take the sun in the summer.

No idea! Mine gets sun in summer (morning and evening, like you) but
doesn't dry out.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 04-11-2003, 01:13 PM
Victoria Clare

Kay Easton wrote in news:ZWiXFRCeJ6p
:

What about the spleenworts

Spleenworts! What a wonderful name.

I am definitely going to get some of those, so that I can point them out to
people and say 'those are spleenworts'.... In fact, I shall plant them
right next to the path so people have to brush past them, then I can also
say 'watch out for the spleenworts, they are rather damp today'.

(I fear my reasons for plant acquisitions tend to be a bit on the frivolous
side...)

Are they likely to be buyable, or will I need to have a go at rearing from
spores?

Bear in mind I am hopeless with tree fern spo have not tried other ferns
(deliberately at least: I am overrun with volunteers (harts tongue and male
fern mostly), but it's now got to the stage where planting those out would
feel like deliberately planting bindweed...)

Victoria