Old 03-11-2003, 08:12 PM
animaux

Default I Need a Soil Test - Where to Get It?

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 14:51:25 GMT, opined:

Thanks for the information!

I collect live oak leaves from about an acre and compost them into the
garden each year. Last year I added a large trailer of horse dung. But
I do burn collected tree limbs and last year added fireplace ashes,
plus I well water with alkaline water. The garden didn't do well last
year. I suspect it's way too alkaline. The oak leaves aren't enough to
restore balance.

You are not using a balance of things. Leaves are mostly comprised of carbon
when dry. Fireplace ashes are very alkaline and can really wreak havoc in soil.
I don't recommend using more than one pound per 1,000 square feet in any given
year...even once every three years or so.

If you have your soil tested by Texas Plant and Soil Lab, you will get a
complete analysis along with exact recommendations.