Old 04-11-2003, 06:12 AM
Rodger Whitlock

Default pumpkin, squash and gourd seeds (coming true)

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 22:52:55 -0000, will wrote:

Happened to be in Kew on Sunday when they were flogging all the
multi-coloured pumpkins, squashes, gourds etc that were in their Autumn
displays. Will be eating them for weeks.

I assume that the seeds will all come true if I plant them next year. Or am
I being foolishly naive?

You are being foolishly naive. I was just reading "Plant
Breeding" the other day, by Bailey and Gilbert, ca. 1914, and in
it they mention hybrids between squashes and gourds. The taste
was something truly dire, it appears, even when the plants
*looked* like squashes.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada